What Not to Wear...In the show ring.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Not to Wear...In the show ring.

modelmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhat Not to Wear...In the show ring.

OK girls...you all are going to hate that I even found this site ;D But if it helps any, I have already learned so much.

Question:
    Besides the obvious..tube tops, mini skirts and bad support bras ,
    What are your opinions about what to wear or not wear in the ring?

contrast or blend?
    Patterns or not?
    Pants or skirts?

My boy is a really light yellow lab. I was thinking about black slacks and a cream/black patterned blouse. Any thoughts?

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What Not to Wear...In the show ring.

That would work well as long as your boy has a good topline. If his topline is not so good, wear something that doesn't contrast so much. Otherwise, as long as you can move in it and it looks neat/professional, why not?

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

As the handler, you want to be as invisible as possible. This lets your dog take the spotlight...which he should. I often wear an LL Bean cotton twill skirt (stone colored) when showing my yellows. It allows my dogs to be seen (as they are more honey colored yellow) without being distracting to the judge.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I almost always wear black pants with whatever tops I choose (tough in the warm southern California summers, but easy the rest of the year)- jacket with cami for all-breed shows and either a patterned or more casual jacket/vest and long-sleeved v-neck solid colored shirt for specialties (usually). I need some different pants, though...especially with puppies, you'll find that all of that yellow hair and drool or paw marks from jumping on you will show up like chalk all over your *once clean* black pants.

We have a couple of well-respected breeder judges in our local lab club who have mentioned several times to us at meetings or seminars/practice shows/handling classes that you should try to make it a point to dress up enough to show some respect for the judge...that doesn't always mean wearing a fancy pants-suit, but should at least be better than a tee-shirt and shorts.

Good thought about the skirt, Peggy. I may have to do some shopping!

Oh, and you can always accessorize accordingly...we have a couple of people who have looked fantastic wearing cute hats in the ring or scarves (nothing too fancy), and it is always fun to wear lab-related pins/earrings/pendants. At the San Joaquin Specialty a month or two ago, we were given pins along with placements...they are gorgeous (handpainted by Judy Heim of Hyspire fame) and should be fun to wear at some of the upcoming shows.

A word of advice from someone who has wiped out several times now slipping on the morning dew-covered grass at specialty shows....WEAR SHOES WITH GOOD TRACTION!!! There is nothing more embarrassing than a) landing on your butt in front of the judge with your dog jumping all over you thinking you're playing and then b) seeing your newly-formed butt-print in the ring for the rest of the day permanently imprinted in the grass.

Just my thoughts...

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Thanks great advice! Especially the whole butt print thing.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by modelmom
    Thanks great advice! Especially the whole butt print thing.
    (The main butt-print experience was at the Golden Gate LRC Specialty in October...I think Tatyana may have been there to witness that one?) LOL It has happened a couple of times, though, I'm ashamed to admit. Just wasn't ready to give up those cute shoes!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

I'll bring a pair of soccer cleats just in case.

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

This is so funny.. I just PM'd Laura and Susan asking for advice about this VERY issue...

I notice that Susan always wears tan colored slacks when showing Caleb and thought this has to be done intentionally.

I HATE skirts but will wear one if I have to...I have some nice beige slacks and also black...so which is better to use when showing a yellow?

Also, Jeffrey is going to be handling next weekend as well. He has beige khakis...does he need a tie? I know NO Tshirts...he has several nice dressy short sleeved shirts from Abercrombie that go nice with khakis... I have seen some male handlers in a jacket and tie. Is that preferred? (he is hoping NOT lol)

Thanks for the tip about the shoes... I saw 2 ladies wipe out at the potomac...the judges made light of it and they got right back into things but i would just DIE if that happened to me
    What kind of shoes are best? I do have golf cleats from when I used to golf lol.
    <br /><br />

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

In obedience you wear bottoms that are the same colour as the dog to make it harder for the judge to see any small heeling mistakes.
    In the breed ring, you WANT the judge to see your dog, so as a rule, wear something that is a different colour from your dog.
    Oh, and don't wear backless shoes...I've lost a shoe more than once when it was wet and they stretched
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    In obedience you wear bottoms that are the same colour as the dog to make it harder for the judge to see any small heeling mistakes.
    Any judge worth their fee knows exactly what you are doing. It makes most watch you more closely.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast