Head critique
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Head critique

LabDecalLady Guest

DefaultHead critique

Hi all-

So, I'm waiting for Sienna to grow through her akward stage. I was hoping to get some critiques on her head in the meantime. This waiting is killer! I was really hoping to be going to a lot of shows at this point.

Anyway, she is just over 8 months old. Sorry the background isn't something pretty, but we're all dirt around the house right now. Plus, I was by myself trying to get her to stack and take the pictures. I was pretty proud that I even got a couple decent shots. I tried to get pictures of her with her mouth shut, but almost everytime she shuts her mouth, she also closes her eyes, lol.

So, please critique away, and be as harsh as you wish...

My one mouth closed shot, and she has her lip tucked under...she looks like she's giving the stink eye or something

And for fun, a really bad full body shot (it is really hard to stack and take the pictures!!) and I caught her mid lick.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Head critique

Quite a nice head.

Biggest fault there are her eyes. They are on the small side and they are yellow. The AKC standard says that yellow eyes are undesirable as they give a harsh expression. I believe the Canadian standard includes them as an acceptable colour though. So it probably depends where you live In the side body picture her ears appear to be set a bit high on her head but they look okay in the other pictures so perhaps she's just very alert?

Her skull might be a bit domed but she is far from finished maturing.

LabDecalLady Guest

Thanks blacklab!! I gotta look at her eyes now, lol. She's sleeping of course. Gosh, I don't think they look that yellow in person. And she was very alert in the picture with the high ear set. My little brother was driving by on our ATV and she perked up to look at him and that's when I snapped the shot ;D

Thanks for the critique. Anyone else?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

For comparison here is a picture of one of my girls. She goes to the other extreme.

She has eyes that are correct pigment and size but too round. She shows the whites in the bottom outside corner if she is looking up. She has the most lovely, soft expression but it's not correct either.

[attachment deleted by admin]

And for comparison again...

a chocolate with correct eye pigment. Unfortunately they seem to be few and far between. Not many this good in Australia. This girl is in New Zealand.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

She is still young, and in regards to the coloration of her eyes, they can still darken. My Grace, who will be 2 at the end of the month, has had her eyes continue to darken since we got her has a pup. Her Mom had super dark eyes and her dad was a BC with the correct dark eye, but she seemed a bit light around a year...but she's almost totally dark brown now. So it still could come.

imported_kiddsmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    She is still young, and in regards to the coloration of her eyes, they can still darken. My Grace, who will be 2 at the end of the month, has had her eyes continue to darken since we got her has a pup. Her Mom had super dark eyes and her dad was a BC with the correct dark eye, but she seemed a bit light around a year...but she's almost totally dark brown now. So it still could come.
    Agree about the eyes. Derby's eyes were light until he was almost 2 and both his parents were black. Now they are correct eye color. He's 6 now. I think a lot has to do with lines and how those lines mature.
    <br />Oregon

LabDecalLady Guest

Thanks guys...I'm hoping that holds true for her and her eyes darken. I was looking at her parents again and both have lovely dark brown eyes, so we'll see what happens. No matter what happens with her in regards to conformation, she is the best girl...perfect temperament and we love her to death!

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

I too agree about the eyes. Blue is a dark chocolate, while her sire had lighter eyes, I believe her mother had darker eyes and I have definately noticed Blue's eyes continue to darken significantly as she grows. She's already rode the spectrum from blue (when she was very young) to dark yellow. The eyes will get there. Good luck!
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

FrenchMaddie is offline Member

The eyes have it! I only glanced through the previous posts but her eyes struck me first. Let's hope they darken as she matures. I'm sure they will!!
    Nicola, Milly, Coco and Blue!<br />&quot;No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich&quot; - Louis Sabin<br />

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast