ugh, stacking is so hard...critiques

Thread: ugh, stacking is so hard...critiques

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Defaultugh, stacking is so hard...critiques

I'm having a really hard time with this- and having a novice photographer that knows nothing about dogs and a pup on house rest doesn't help.

Please excuse the mess in background- it's coming up on finals.

I would love critiques/help on stacking and critiques on her build. FYI- she's my obedience dog and is spayed- I'm just curious.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: ugh, stacking is so hard...critiques

Her stacking looks fine to me Just that her head is looking straight up which makes it difficult to judge her reach of neck and head.

The angle of the photo makes her look extremely straight in her front. I suspect, though that she actually is too straight but the photos makes her look worse. If she is straining up with her head it will make it look worse too. So I guess it's difficult to judge. Her back end is lacking in angulation, turn of stifle and second thigh. First thigh is okay though. Topline is nice until it gets to her hip then it takes a downturn... sloping croup with low tailset. I don't know how old she is but she seems a bit long in the leg and lacking in substance(this may be because she's quite young or it could be how she is as a mature bitch). Can't judge her head because I can't really see it clearly.

I have an obedience boy too, well one day he will be titled He has a pedigree but he is so awful I wouldn't dare post him here for a critique. But damn he's a good working dog!

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Are you just starting obedience? It is fun. If you have been working with her, just put her in a stand stay like in the Novice class and step away from her. You are hovering over her in the first one and she is putting her head straight up in the air to either look at you or get at your bait.

It would not be really fair to critique a dog when the pics are not great. Pics can be deceiving.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

She's nine months. She's almost done with her rally novice title

And her hip build is not deceiving, blacklab- she's already dysplastic.

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    Sloping topline and rounded croup has nothing to do with whether she is dysplastic or not.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

She looks like a great obedience prospect. Don't worry about the HD...I got through to a UD on a girl with grade 2 HD and she did just fine.
    She is straight in the front and that MAY be problematic for her with jumping as there is a bit less cushion there. Just watch her for any signs of lameness when you start jumping her. I also wouldn't jump her past elbow height until she is 14 or 15 months as the growth plates won't be closed until then.
    Having said that, there are lots of dogs who are active in agility with gawdawful fronts who have never been lame a day in their lives, so go ahead and have fun, but as will all competition dogs, don't jump her cold, don't jump her when she is tired, and teach her how to jump correctly with cavelettis.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

blacklab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabbys mom
    She's nine months. She's almost done with her rally novice title

Oh what a shame. Hopefully she doesn't get too bad. There is nothing in the way that she is standing/assembled that tells me that is the case though.

If she's only 9 months old that would explain the legginess! Well done to be getting to novice title stage at that age!!