Attending a dog show (as a spectator)

Thread: Attending a dog show (as a spectator)

lv2compute is offline Junior Member

DefaultAttending a dog show (as a spectator)

I am thinking about driving down to Las Vegas this weekend to check out the dog show they are having there. I was wondering about a few things.

1 - Is there usually an entrance fee for watching the show?
    2 - Can I bring my non-participating dog?
    3 - Any rules, etc that I need to be aware of?

I have never attended a show before and just want to see what it is all about. I am thinking about getting into obediance or sporting trials with my lab but would like to have an idea of what is going on first

Thanks,
    Jen

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

FrenchMaddie is offline Member

DefaultRe: Attending a dog show (as a spectator)

I can't answer for the US but in Europe for big CACIB/Champs shows there is usually an minimal entry fee (especially it if it is a large indoors show) for the public, definitely you would not be permitted to take in a non-competing dog.

Go along and enjoy - for us the judging is usually in the mornings and the public come along in the afternooon to see group judging, BIS, junior handlers etc and to meet the dogs and breeders.
    Nicola, Milly, Coco and Blue!<br />&quot;No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich&quot; - Louis Sabin<br />

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

1 - Is there usually an entrance fee for watching the show? No. If you're going to Westminster or something of that caliber, then there is a fee to watch, but for local shows like the one I'm sure you're talking about there are usually no fees. You might have to pay for parking though.

2 - Can I bring my non-participating dog? You're not supposed to.

3 - Any rules, etc that I need to be aware of? Bring a lawn/folding/camping chair with you so you don't get tired of walking about. I would also bring an unbrella to use as a shade from the sun. Don't sit/stand so close to the ring gates as to be a distraction to the dogs. Generally, don't try to talk to exhibitors while they are in the ring. If there is a dog that you like, you can always go to the dog/owner and say how much you like the dog and chat with the owner after their class is over. Beware that they might have another dog entered though, so they might not have a lot of time to chat. Oh, try to find a show catalog, it will list dog entry numbers, names, parents, owner names, etc.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    1 - Is there usually an entrance fee for watching the show? No. If you're going to Westminster or something of that caliber, then there is a fee to watch, but for local shows like the one I'm sure you're talking about there are usually no fees. You might have to pay for parking though.
    Really you don't have spectator fees at most of your shows? I cannot recall the last time I have been to a show and not had to pay to enter. Sometimes the entry is the parking fee. But if the parking is free I have had to pay to come watch. The only exception has been shows like Potomac.
    Heck even if your entered you have to pay a parking fee at times.

My job last year at our all breed club was to take the peoples money...man then you have to try and sell them a catalog. YIKES! The looks you get :P

Now on to the show. Don't forget money to shop or eat. I like to carry a tote bag and have a bottle of water or even a snack.
    No I would not bring an unentered dog.
    Kim

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The few shows I went to before I was showing or involved in a club, I don't recall paying. But sometimes there is a fee for parking.

Yup, no un-entered dogs. Sometimes you can bring them, depending on WHERE the show is. I've been to several specialties held at public parks, so they can't really control un-entered dogs, although they put up signs for them not to approach the rings. But if your goal is to go and watch, you don't need the distraction of your dog.

Bring a chair, food/drink and hunker down by the ring and take it all in. Chances are you'll be sitting next to other lab folks and talk to them!!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I haven't had to pay a spectator's entry fee since I attended Eukanuba in Long Beach this winter. Parking, yes. But, it would depend on what the club decided to do, I suppose.

If you go, definitely take about $10 for a catalog, a pen, a chair, sunblock (if outdoors), extra cash for parking/food/vendors and possibly snacks/drinks in a small cooler (sometimes, "show food" is pretty scary). Don't bring your dog with you...especially if you're going to enjoy yourself and watch the dogs in the ring. It is too distracting having to keep an eye on a dog, especially if your dog isn't used to being in a show environment.

Also, if you go and watch labradors, look for my friend Cathy's beautiful open yellow girl. Her name is Abby- Decoy's On The Ice at Shoal Creek. She is absolutely adorable, and will be in the ring with a male handler, "mom" (who is very sweet as well) sitting ringside with a jogging suit on, probably. They'll be there all weekend living out of a huge motorhome.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

man I feel ripped off!! LOL
    Kim

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

You're right though Kim, every show I have been to, if I didn't walk in with the dog, they wanted to nab me for the fee!

Must be geographical!

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I've never been to a show/event (conformation, obedience, hunt test) where an entry fee (to watch) was required. It must be the West Coast/Mountain thing. ???

patm is offline Senior Member

Don't take your non-entered dog on a prong collar and sit in the corner where the obedience dogs come to in their off-leash heeling pattern. (yes- I did all this when I went to my first dog show - luckily AKC didn't permanently ban me) :-\