Poor etiquette?

Thread: Poor etiquette?

Yuna is offline Senior Member

DefaultPoor etiquette?

My breeder has kind of taken me under her wing and is helping me get into showing. They've been super kind to me and have gotten me involved in a lot of fun things. We've even joined a club they're in that visits nursing homes and puts on performances at camps etc. I'm so happy with them. Because they're so helpful I'm having a hard time with a decision I have to make.

I met a breeder at a dog show I went to in December and I fell in love with a dog she was showing. This dog has the same sire as Floss and I'm so happy with Floss that I decided to put my name on a waiting list for a repeat breeding she's going to do in the winter. I ran into her at the show I had entered Floss in and she told me that since she could see how serious I was about showing she would give me the litter pick. Since then I've been feeling majorly conflicted.

I absolutely love my breeders and their dogs and they've gone out of their way to guide me. I kind of feel an obligation towards them. When I had first mentioned getting a black lab she quickly showed me a picture of a dog they were looking to breed with. I don't want to buy a puppy from this new breeder without letting my current breeder know about it. I also want to ask what she thinks of the pedigree and dogs. Would it be poor etiquette to ask my breeder about a dog I want to purchase from another breeder? Would I risk ruining my relationship with them? I can't help but feel they would be disappointed that I didn't choose another puppy from them. The other breeder called to find out if I'm still serious about a puppy because the waiting list is getting full and people are starting to put deposits down.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DostaffLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Poor etiquette?

Wow, sorry you feel so 'pulled in all directions'. I'm sure your breeder would understand that you love this sire and really want a puppy from THIS breeding. Maybe try to include them by asking them about the pedigree's, etc. I bought Ava and Cali from a different breeder than Brandy, and he doesn't hold any grudges.... In fact, he has commented on what nice girls they are and when I breed them, he may be interested in a pup. I hope all turns out well for you! Keeping my fingers crossed!
    ~Melissa~
    And the Dostaff Girls:
    Abby, Anna, Ava, Brandy, Cali, Holly, and Ruby (and Dixie, too)

CHOCOLATA is offline Senior Member

I would approach them and honestly explain how I feel. Start by saying how much you appreciate what they are doing for you and; therefore, tell them what you are going through. If they are as great as you are describe, they will understand. I could see how they would get upset, if you did not say anything and just got a puppy from somewhere else. I am also getting a puppy, and feel guilt. I volunteer for a rescue, and feel that some people from the rescue will not understand why I am not getting another rescue dog. I think that I dedicate a lot of time and love to save the dogs but wish to have a fresh start with my second dog.
    <br /><br />Zlata &amp; Chocolata

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

If you want to show, get the best dog you can buy period. If your breeder doesn't understand, that is really their problem, not yours. Having said that, they will understand. It is hard enough to make the right decisions in this hobby without feeling pressured by guilt.
    I have several mentors and the ones that I am closest to haven't even sold me dogs ;D
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would definately just talk to them and let them know that you are interested in a puppy from this other breeders litter. It's an opportunity to get top pick, which is rare and you should take advantage of it, especially since you like the sire. They SHOULD understand. If they don't, or hold a grudge, it's their problem, not yours. I would hate to think they were only being nice to you because they thought you would buy another puppy from them.

I was being somewhat mentored by a lady in my own club in my old town. She knew that I was only interested in chocolates when I was looking for a show puppy. She seemed colder to me after I bought a puppy from another club member who let me buy the top pick female. I never said I was going to take a puppy from her, especially since I wasn't interested in a yellow or black, nor did I like the looks of their dogs (gorgeous labs, but not my style...).