Critique please... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique please...

Lovemylabs is offline Member

DefaultRe: Critique please...

Hi there. First off, I am not a breeder, just a newbie getting started and interested in show. . . But I wanted to say that he looks real nice in the video. I think he looks nicer in the video then what is being captured in the picture you attached. I do really like his head. Do you happen to have a full on view of his head? I would love to see his face. ;D

Karen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I just watched the video...you are rewarding him for posting
    Sorry, but you can see his tail set is low in the video. Nice boy.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    I just watched the video...you are rewarding him for posting
    Sorry, but you can see his tail set is low in the video.
    I agree with dana.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

We have worked hard on trying not to have him post anymore. Thanks for your honesty. Does anyoone have any tips we can help to have him not post anymore? I mean obviously we shouldn't be rewarding if for that, we don;t meant to, so we hope to try a new approach.
    We've tried stepping back, so he lowers his head and straightens out, but he just follows, it's just not working We've also tried lowering the bait, but it just doens't work either. We'd eventually like to get him to freestack on a long lead, but it seems impossible right now, HELP!

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

First, teach him to stand and stay and then go back to having him watch the bait. Keep it light and fun. Hold the bait at your hip so he is looking straight ahead, not up.
    Once you have a solid stand/stay, then you would do well to get a clicker and a mirror and click the behaviour you want and then release him forward toward you for the food...that will prevent him from rocking back on his front legs.
    When you have him on the stand/stay, suddenly break it off and toss food up for him to catch...do it at different intervals and releae him with GET IT! This will keep him happy and alert and because he is focused on the food, it will help you to teach the stay at the same time. Gradually back up and if he moves forward, just stop the game very suddenly and he will realize his mistake and stay where he was last time.
    Use a mirror though...the behaviour you feed is the behaviour you get, so make sure you don't click unless you see him standing the way you would like him.
    Here is a good article for you:
    http://nipissingkennelclub.com/showtrain1.htm
    There are several parts, so keep going.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12