Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Number Two

Goodness, what a harsh expression. I'll have to spend some time doing these later. These are great exercises.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Looks like he has relatively good bone, a nice topline/tailset, and adequate rear, but those photos make it extremely difficult, I found, to critique the front apparatus. ??? He doesn't have a lot of width to his chest, and I can't tell about his length of neck and head planes. He is young, but still looks like he has small, roundish eyes and I agree, a harsh expression. He does look like he has a nice otter tail and his coat looks good from the photos...

Thanks for doing this. It is very interesting!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

You can tell a lot about his front from the head-on shot. Look again and take a shot.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

As I mentioned first, he has a very harsh expression. The elbows look tied in. Sloping croup. He has a lot of muscle which I'm sure helps to overcome his structural shortcomings. Nice coloring. Nice tail. Probably straighter stifle than many prefer, but I don't mind it with his muscles, it should not be a problem and should help him turn around fast and pretty much in place (makes for a stylish pick up and come back).

It's hard to judge his shoulder layback from the photos, but I would guess that it's not bad. My biggest problem is the harsh expression and makes me wonder what his temperament is.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    You can tell a lot about his front from the head-on shot. Look again and take a shot.
    Okay, besides being narrow through the chest as I mentioned in my above critique, he does look like he is tied in at the elbows, and in looking again, doesn't look to me like he has the best angles or layback of shoulder in even the "side" shot. Man, I wish I could get my hands on some of these dogs, and walk around them in person!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Lovemylabs is offline Member

I'll have to do this one quick! (same disclaimer as stated before that I do have this book but I am not looking at it before doing these critiques )

Head: harsh expression. Does not look Labrador to me. Can't tell exactly what is going on, with the planes as the angle is more straight on than to the profile. Something is off with the shape of the muzzle and the stop. The ears may be set too high and the eyes are light giving it a very harsh, coarse expression. . .

Front: A litter straight in the front. Again, the angle is not optimal for checking shoulder lay back and length of forearm. Humerus could be a little short. Also from this viewpoint it looks like the elbows are tied. The front assembly may be too far forward so it is not under his ribcage where it is wider. Chest depth looks good.

body: overall a balanced profile. Top line is level, correct tail set and correct otter tail. Coat looks like it good just be one coat - hard to tell from picture.

Rear: good rear assembly. nice muscular second thigh.

Thanks for posting the pics!
    Karen.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Eyes look a little too almond shaped for my tastes.

Can't tell for sure from the picture but something about his feet I just don't like.

Looks rather narrow in the chest, but then again so did Caleb at that age. He has filled out though.

Ear set not quite right either.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

blacklab is offline Senior Member

The overall picture of this dog is okay I reckon. Can't see too much that displeases the eye at a split second glance. He's young and with maturity could be quite nice. Certainly has a better chance of developing into a fine specimen than dog number one!

First thing that stands out to me is his head and expression - I think his ears are set too high on his head. A side on picture might reveal a lack of stop and possibly domed skull. His expression could be an illusion from the angle of the light but it doesn't seem typically labrador. It could be possible that he has yellow eyes which cause a harsh expression (on close inspection of head photo). Yellow eyes seem to be part of the standard in some countries but not others.

It is impossible to really assess him from the angle of the photograph. He might be too long in coupling for a male and he could have a weak back end (seems to have enough thigh but possibly lacks turn of stifle - this may develop with maturity) His chest is adequate breadth for his age. The front on picture hints that there is more spring of rib than can be seen clearly in the side picture. Tail set is a bit low but not enough to be a huge glaring fault, especially when it comes off such a nice topline. I would think it unusual to see a 13 month old dog so well muscled. This is the age where they start developing muscles rather than having a good musculature already developed. Nice to see though. I don't think the faults with the head will improve with age.

I can see this dog easily winning his juvenile class at a show but being knocked out in the challenge line up by other more mature dogs. Given a few years he should be holding his own, given that his overall conformation will improve to outweigh his ordinary head.