Critique Away!! Dog Number One
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Critique Away!! Dog Number One

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultCritique Away!! Dog Number One

Here is a dog for you to flex your muscles on 8)
    Laura posted these awhile back but not everyone has seen them, I'm sure. Start with this dog and I'll post the judges' critiques in a couple of days for you to compare notes. I think there are six dogs in total

Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Critique Away!! Dog Number One

LOL, I shouldn't play since I have the book that came from!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I'll try. Pigeon toed in the front. Kind of a low tail set. Actually, a little too skinny even for me. Seems a little down in the paturns, but could be the picture. Don't care for his feet either, but that could be the picture as well. One rear leg looks a little straight in the hock.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

blacklab is offline Senior Member

He has nice eyes

....and seems to be sadly lacking a body at all. Legs and head and no body.

Front assembly is not good. Lacking prosternum and short from elbow to shoulder. Ear set a bit far back. Nice topline and certainly appears to be coupled shortly.

Rear picture: nice boy bits ;D

*disclaimer* these are my personal opinions only.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Oh, oh...can I play?!? What a great exercise for us newbies!

Here is my critique:
    I would say that overall, he is not very well-balanced. His body is much too slight for the size of his head, and he appears to lack bone. He is short through his upper arm and straight through his stifle. Slightly low tailset, and from the photos alone, he looks a bit "slab-sided" and without much forechest. Head- it almost looks like his ears are set a bit too low from the side, yet they are set a bit too high from the front view? He has nice parallel planes to his head profile, is well-pigmented, and has a lot of "backskull." He is also short-coupled.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Hmmmm, you guys might want to take another look at his front
    Also keep in mind this dog is only 21 months old.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

He looks like he has excellent layback of shoulder, but I still don't think there is much forechest there, even for a youngster. ???

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Lovemylabs is offline Member

First my disclaimer: I have the book that these pictures come from - but it has been awhile since I've looked at the comments. Nevertheless, I am sure I will be influenced by what I read and studied previously and it may impact my critique but it is just one aspect of everything I have been reading and learning in the past several months. So based on where I am at today I wanted to give it a shot. . .

Anyway here goes:
    This is a young dog. I would expect him to fill out as he matures. I think at this point he does look a bit gangly and unbalanced in the body but overall he seems well put together and I would expect him to fill out nicely as he matures. He has a nice head. Nice pigment, parallel plans and a nice back skull. He has a typical lab expression. His muzzle is a bit short for my tastes, but I think overall it is within the standard.

Front: I think his front is well put together. Hi has nice shoulder layback and a decent forearm (humerus). I think what throws it off is, he is not stacked well in front. His feet are not right under him so it makes it look like his angles are off. He should be standing with his foot pad directly underneath his center point of his scapula; I think if he were standing correctly the line between his withers and elbow will match up. Also, at this point he does not have a great reach of neck so that also may be affecting shoulder layback. But his ears and head are well in front of his elbow, so again, I think his front is fine, just not as elegant (as JP has described in another post) because of the short reach.

Body:
    Again, he is still young. Perhaps he comes from lines that mature slowly. His topline looks fine and he is short coupled. He is slightly longer than he is tall. Tailset is nice and he has a nice otter tail. His coat pigment look good too, although I can't tell if it correct coat. From the picture the coat looks a little thin (IMO).

Rear: I think he may be a bit over angulated in the rear. Again, he is not stacked correctly and that may be the reason for the over angulation. His rump should align closer to his hock when standing correctly. His second thigh is still underdeveloped, but that should change with maturation as well.

I think he was probably a very nice looking dog as far as type goes by, once he got older around 3 years old or so.

So there it is ;D ;D ;D
    Karen.

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    LOL, I shouldn't play since I have the book that came from!
    Me too...It was a "must have" for me! I love it, it's a wonderful book right next to the Pat Trotter. ;D
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

blacklab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Hmmmm, you guys might want to take another look at his front
    Why?

I think his chest looks fine front on but side on there is something wrong there. Whether it's his neck creating an illusion or something else. Gotlab could be right about the stacking. My opinion remains the same even after I've looked at it again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast