LOCH MOR WELLDONE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_josephine is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: BOB at Crufts, and FOURTH OF GROUP - LOCH MOR WELLDONE

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Well, my only conformation experience is watching, but I like this guy. He's not over blocky like a lot of Labs I've seen here in the states.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

LabDecalLady Guest

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the finer points of conformation to make a great critique, but I did want to say that I really like his overall look. I like his head, reach of neck, long legs, and how fit he looks. I can totally picture a dog like that spending a whole day in the field. When I think lab, this is the kind of dog that I picture personally. We all have a preference on overall look for a lab, and this is mine!

Tagen is offline Senior Member

I like him! The last pic with his handler is great ;D

blacklab is offline Senior Member

He's a nice dog but considering the lack of second thigh and turn of stifle I am surprised that he won such a prestigous show. He also doesn't seem to have a level topline ??? I would have thought that any dog winning BOB at Crufts would have to be near perfect.

LabDecalLady Guest

See, this is what I mean by my lack of knowledge...so basically you mean that he does not have good angulation at the stifle joint right? Basically his leg in the picture falls straight down from hip to hock? And I'm slightly lost (as usual : ) about the "lack of second thigh". Do you mean that is not defined/muscular enough or not long enough? Thanks in advance to whoever will take the time to explain to me. It's nice to be able to correlate the wording in our standard with a picture, both good and bad. So if anyone has a picture of a dog with a great rear end with good turn of stifle and second thigh, I would love to see it, so I can see what is missing with the first dog!!!

LabDecalLady Guest

Oooh...and if someone has a picture of a dog that is over-angulated in the rear, that would be great too!!

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Just a little disclaimer here....

You will likely not get much imput on this dog from experienced breeders as it is not 'good form' to pick apart somebody else's dog on a public forum.

I know you are well meaning and I do think it is a good opportunity to learn, and there are good and bad points to this dog and every other dog. But these conversations are generally best had in private so as not to offend the owner of this dog. It's just not something that we like to do and we like to limit our critiques to dogs we own or to dogs who have been posted here in search of a critique.
    I hope that doesn't sound snobbish, but it is just common curtesy that sometimes people are unaware of

I would have thought that any dog winning BOB at Crufts would have to be near perfect.
    Many big winning dogs are quite a bit less than perfect and are not always important contributors to the breed. You will learn a lot more about what makes a good dog from long time breeders than you ever would from a judge (unless the judge happens to be both). Winning is always nice but given the choice, I would much rather have my dog in a good pedigree behind a good dog. Showing and breeding are not always the same...you can often fool a judge for 2 minutes in the ring but it is harder to fool the old timers
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

blacklab is offline Senior Member

Ok I know there is no such thing as a perfect dog. But I am well aware of the number of dogs entered in a breed like Labradors at Crufts and it surprises me when I see something like this.

Sorry I wasn't aware that the owner/breeder of the dog was a member here. I guess if you have a dog that wins its breed at Crufts you are putting yourself out there to be judged well and truly. I think it just goes with the territory.

The original post asks "What do you think of this boy" which is a question that I answered. It didn't ask for positive critiques only.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast