Help getting a good stacked shot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help getting a good stacked shot

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp getting a good stacked shot

ok.. I just went through about 35 pictures trying to get a decent stacked shot of Aidan. I even used tuna fish cans :

I just can't get him lined up properly even with someone helping to the side with cookies... any advice pleaseeee.

There has to be a trick in all of this or some simple things I could try. I hope
    <br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help getting a good stacked shot

Probably the best is for you to hold and position him on a table (unless he's pretty big by now) and hold the treat by his nose (I usually use something I can keep in my first and just show a little), and have the other person stand out in front and take photos....

WigWag Guest

Okay you need two people. Handler stands in front of him with a cookie preferably outside with a plain background (no busy stuff like cars, etc). Handler gets his attention with cookie and makes him stand by pushing forward if he's sitting making him "pop up" and then back away telling him stay. Toss him a cookie a few times - something small and soft like cheese works well. Keep tossing and letting him catch or pick it up off the ground. Then raise arm like you are going to toss and stop - fake him out a few times and then toss. Keep repeating. Talking to him will get his tail wagging - lots of "Goooood boy wadda good boy!"

Photographer must get down to his level so on one knee or crouched down. Get totally even with him - right "dead on" his side and not too far back or forward and you must be able to get up and move a bit if he moves. Snap away. Try to antipicate when he will be standing still based on the handler - during the "fake outs" is going to be best.

Also playing with a ball or bumper is good for many dogs. Have the handler/player toss the object a bunch of times and again stop and fake him out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Let me know how you do it because I can't do it with Remington either :P

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Teach 'stand' first or you'll make yourself crazy. If they have the basic concept not to move or sit, it will make life much easier for the both of you 8)
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

What I've been wondering is how to get the legs back without having to mold him. Theo has a nice pop-up stand in the (obedience) ring, but when I try to get a stacked shot at home, he puts on the low-tail, slumpy leg, "please don't beat me" look...

WigWag Guest

It's a combination of well behaved yet having fun and is a bit more difficult that one would first think when seeing a dog show on t.v. and thinking "All they do is stand there!" It's best when the dog knows stand and stay - some breeders won't teach a dog to sit (they are kennel dogs) and therefore when a treat comes out the dog doesn't naturally sit like those taught to sit and are housedogs. If your dog automatically sits when a treat is out and you are standing over them then you must teach stand. I do this by moving forward and crowding the dog and taking my foot and poking it gently between the front legs and pushing on the belly to get them to stand while luring them forward with the treat close to the nose. Most dogs know stay but apply that command to when sitting or in a down position so taking it and adding it to stand might take a few tries - don't think that once they know stand they will stay in a stand when given the STAY command. Work it out while having fun - don't be a dictator "No stand, STAY, stand, STAY!" If they keep sitting then work on stand only for that 5 - 10 minute session and next time try to add the stay.

Now once the stand and stay are fairly solid go back to having fun. If the dog thinks that it's "in trouble" then the tail goes down and the head goes down and they keep their feet where they are and they won't move and look well stupid (and like they are expecting a beating!). So have fun and bounce around and have them catch the treats. Move around and have the dog back up, come forward, catch the treat, move back, etc. Reach down and pet them and talk the whole time "GOOOOOOD job!" Now once feet are good - not too under them and fairly square then give your STAY! Back up a step or two and hold the treat up for them to see - not too high or necks are strained upward. Hold it a few seconds for the photo or photos (depending on the camera and delay) and then toss the food. Repeat.

Again a toy may be used - go out and toss it and then stop and fake them out and hold the toy up and have them wait for it and take the photos.

The tricks are for the photographer to get a good angle - dead on the side and to get down low enough. And for the handler to get the dog in the right position - not too stretched, legs fairly square, and keep the dog happy - smiling and wagging.

Oh and a puppy is different - don't try to teach stand and stay. Instead toss the treats and bend down to feed and just get them to stand in front of you expecting the treat.

Okay if a 5 year old can do it you all can! Yes she was the handler in all these photos!

labby is offline Senior Member

Its not hard. I was able to get Abby free stacked in a matter of minutes when she first arrived. Of course, I have a remote control on my camera which helps me do it alone. The only tough one is Seamus who acts like he's been recently beaten. LOL

Laura

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Yes, 2 people are almost a must to get decent stacked shots especially with a wiggly puppy.

Work on stay. Place one foot, say stay. Place another foot, say stay, etc. You have to control the head or the dog will move all over. I grab the jaw bone on the right side with my right hand (thumb is on their cheek and fingers are in the little groove of the throat between the jaw bones so I'm basically holding the jaw bone firmly but not harshly) and I reach over the dog to place the left front foot by pulling the dog slightly off balance toward me, grabbing the elbow and placing the foot. Then I grab the jaw bone on the left side with my left hand and push the dog slightly away while placing the right front foot. Then I grab the jaw bone with my right hand and place the left rear foot, etc. Ideally you should only have to place 2 feet (3 at the most) because in a show you rarely have time to place all 4.

Essy has been pretty easy. She is a sitter since she was an obedience dog first BUT she has a great stand/stay if I can get her there. Of course those first few frustrating times around the ring she would sit every time as soon as I stopped so I started getting out ahead of her and turning to face her as I say "stand/stay". This has helped tremendously since it presents a different picture to her. I'm really trying not to mess her up too badly for my daughter. It was pretty funny once she realized what I wanted because the wheels had been turning while she tried to figure it out. "Oh, you mean I just have to STAND here and look pretty? I can do that." ;D

For free stacking I worked on the stand/stay portion only at first, making sure she had her feet properly placed. I would walk into her to make her back up a few steps then I'd take a step back and she would walk forward with her front feet only then I'd say "stand/stay". Once she got the idea of what I wanted, I worked on getting ears and tail. I would only treat her when the ears were forward and the tail was wagging. I put a cue to that..."pretty girl". A friend uses "show puppy" with her dogs. You can use any command you want. Now when I say "pretty girl" she will automatically stack and wag her tail.

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Thank you thank you thank you...Sharon and Murrays mom... I got some GREAT shots today the weather was finally nice and i was so pleased with myself. I also had Jeffrey here to help.

The key was teaching stand...he doesnt have it 100% yet but its getting there.
    I didnt realize i needed to actually TEACH stand...sorry im such a beginner at all of this. So we worked on stand and I used the foot trick...crowded him and touch his belly..that description was dead on so thanks for being so clear.
    It took a LONG time but we got 1-2 really decent ones I thought.

Anyway... I just came now to DL them and show you all....NO CARD IN THE CAMERAAAAA OMG!!!!! lol i could just smack myself sometimes. So...sigh... Im so disappointed. But it was a good work session anyway and I will try again tomorrow.

It amazes me the difference in both dogs. I can't work with Aidan if Emma is around. He looks to her for what to do but is way too distracted. Emma picks up things amazingly quick. 3-4 reps on a command and she HAS it nailed and is ready for the next command. She is going to be so awesome in the obed ring when we're ready.
    Aidan takes longer to get something but his focus is like a laser as long as Emma is put away. If you have food? Youve got his undivided attention!
    <br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast