Crappy, crappy day.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappy, crappy day.

Yuna is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrappy, crappy day.

Things started out ok. I got to the show not feeling nervous at all. I actually thought I might do better than third. I watched the judge for a bit and noticed he was getting the handlers to show their dog's teeth. I was super happy about this because that's one of the things Floss was having trouble with.

After I watched the show a bit I realized I didn't have any pockets. I totally forgot I needed pockets to hold my bait. Luckily there was a little shop selling vinyl pouches that I could pin to my skirt. It seemed like a fine idea at the time. I had seen others use them.

Our time came to show, I went to the ring with Charlie. I felt super confident because 2 people, a handler and a breeder stopped me to tell me they weren't sure why my dog was only taking third. They thought she was very pretty. That kind of boosted my confidence. I got to the ring, Floss was awesome! She did so well. I did a great job. The judge was super positive. As I showed her teeth and he went down her back she started to wag her tail a lot and I tried to to tell her to stand, he said 'no no, this is exactly how i want to see a lab puppy react. I prefer this to one just standing uninterested.'

Then it all went to crap. He told me to go down and back. Floss was fine, I reached the end and turned around to go back, got to the judge and told Floss to stand and the judge said, 'that's it we're forced to take a break.' I was think wth?? What happened. Then he started yelling at me then towards the audience and made a huge example of me because as I ran back my bait spilled. I had forgot to close my little pouch and as I ran back some of it spilled on the floor. It seriously wouldn't have taken much for me to run back and clean it up by hand but for some reason he got really angry with me. I went on and on to the audience and us that we we shouldn't be surprised if we see him force the handlers to grab a broom and start cleaning the ring. He went on and on. I was apologising and asking if I could clean it up. The ring steward made a huge show about there not being a broom near so she tried to pick it up with a scooper and it would never work. He sent us out of the ring wiothout taking a second look at the dogs. 1, 2, 3 in the same order. When someone finally brought a broom to clean it some people in the audience started clapping. I felt terrible. I was so embarrassed. To make matters worse, I think it even screwed my breeder over. the judge was so mad and just sent us out 1, 2, 3. For the last 2 days he won best puppy and Winner's Female and Best of Winners.

I just wanted to cry. The other lab breeders came up to me and told me we did so well, Floss looked perfect. They said the judge is grumpy because his legs hurt. They said he should have never reacted that way. They said we looked perfect and luckily we'll probably never see him again. Everyone was so kind. I still felt like crap. As I was leaving my breeder ran over to get me. She said she heard what happened, she was ring stewarding at the time. She was very upset and said someone needs to tell him that was unacceptable.

Ugh I dunno. I just feel awful. I guess my lesson learned today is no more velcro pouches.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crappy, crappy day.

I am so sorry. I hope just one grumpy judge won't spoil your desire to show. I'm glad the other people were so reassuring and nice.

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Oh my, I am sorry you had such a rotten day! Especially over such a minor mishap. Hopefully you will never see the judge, and even if you do, he'll probably never remember. What kind of bait was it? I don't understand why he had such a reaction.

Tomorrow is another day (as Annie would say), and I'm glad there were others there to support you.
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I think you learned two lessons, the other being 'one day you are the dog and the next you are the hydrant'.

You need to develop a tough skin when you show your dog for the world to see and critique, so that was a good start for you. Next time you feel nervous in the ring, you can remember this episode and realize that you can't die from humiliation (which is very good, otherwise showing dogs would be VERY dangerous)

Some judges are jerks, some are crabby, some are nice and some are helpful. Some are all of the above within a five minute time frame. You get to go home withe the best dog, so you win whether you go home with a ribbon or not. As soon as you get your first placement or points, believe me, this episode will be long forgotten...just the price you have to pay ;D
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

It was bait the size of kibble. It started falling out about halfway down the mat. I'm not sure why he reacted like that either but he made quite a spectacle. Just dropping it was embarrassment enough for me. I do feel like he overreacted but I still feel like poop about it. There were quite a few people watching the labs today too. ugh

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Honestly, it sounds kind of funny to me ;D Some day you may laugh about it too!!

One of my first times in the ring I thought we were supposed to do one more go-round when the judge had already assigned her placements and I missed it. I look at the handler behind me and said Ready? and she kind of nodded in a stunned way, and off I went, trotting with my dog around the ring before I discovered I was the only one and everyone else was watching me, wondering what the heck I was doing. I was devastated at the time, but now I can laugh about it and even share my sordid little story.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Honestly, it sounds kind of funny to me ;D Some day you may laugh about it too!!

One of my first times in the ring I thought we were supposed to do one more go-round when the judge had already assigned her placements and I missed it. I look at the handler behind me and said Ready? and she kind of nodded in a stunned way, and off I went, trotting with my dog around the ring before I discovered I was the only one and everyone else was watching me, wondering what the heck I was doing. I was devastated at the time, but now I can laugh about it and even share my sordid little story.
    lol, I know i'll be laughing about it one day. It certainly hasn't stopped me from wanting to show Floss.

FrenchMaddie is offline Member

Oh poor you! The last show I did the judge took and instant dislike to me before we even started. I think it was because I was English! The first the judge was horrible and made a massive play of counting all Blue's teeth right in front of everyone by yanking her jaw open which scared her to death (this was in a puppy class). The secodn was lovely. Lovely female judge who realised theyw ere pupppies and behaved in a more sympathetic fashion. I still have to develop that thick skin but sometimes I just don't want to!
    Nicola, Milly, Coco and Blue!<br />&quot;No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich&quot; - Louis Sabin<br />

LabDecalLady Guest

Oh gosh...being a newbie myself, I got an awful feeling in my gut just reading your story. Sounds like you held it together really well despite your very grumpy judge. Here's hoping your next experience is a much more positive one!

Sienna and I are attending a match this weekend, so we'll see how it goes for us!

JLSP4YUNA Guest

Oh Andrea.. I am sorry you had such a crappy day... Hopefully u will never see that judge again.. sounds like hes a jerk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast