Free standing?

Thread: Free standing?

FrenchMaddie is offline Member

DefaultFree standing?

I look at a lot of piccies of your lovely dogs at shows and many of them show the handler holding up the head by the lead and holding the tail. Is this normal? In Europe the lab is shown totally free standing, no handling of head or tail and no placing of feet.

I was just curious to know what is normal for you guys?
    Nicola, Milly, Coco and Blue!<br />&quot;No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich&quot; - Louis Sabin<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Free standing?

It depends. I've been told that at all breed shows you usually hand stack and at specialties you usually free stack but some judges may tell you to do the opposite based on their preference.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Yuna is offline Senior Member

I was going to ask about free and hand stacking. At all the classes I've been to they've been teaching me to hand stack. My breeder noticed me doing it and told me to just free stack. Now I'm confused.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchMaddie
    I look at a lot of piccies of your lovely dogs at shows and many of them show the handler holding up the head by the lead and holding the tail. Is this normal? In Europe the lab is shown totally free standing, no handling of head or tail and no placing of feet.

I was just curious to know what is normal for you guys?
    You are looking at *photos* of a win, etc. That is not how the dog is typically shown. It is for the picture. Most are shown free stacked here in the ring.

patm is offline Senior Member

If you free-stack your dog and they stand nicely with their feet in the proper postition, what would be the advantage of a "stacked" dog?

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

No dog is perfect. Hand stacking allows you to hide imperfections that's why many judges will require you to free stack at some point during the class so they can see the real dog. That's why its important to teach the dog to free stack in a way that still hides his flaws. Many people teach their dog to move one foot at a time on command so they can basically stack the dog verbally.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE