Two dilemas...

Thread: Two dilemas...

Stoney Brook is offline Member

DefaultTwo dilemas...

Hello,

I have two dilemas, first one... In which class I should enter my boy in now that's he's not a puppy.

I could enter him in Open black, he is a two-year, one-month-old, black male Labrador, he's matured nicely over these past few months, not as nice as i'd wish, but he's good enough.
    Here's a picture....Taken at around one month ago.
    (excuse the pjs)
    We usually get some good compition around here (in california) with always atleast 30 plus Labs entered with about atleast 3 dogs in the open black class.
    I do feel he might hav a chance to place, but who knows.

Or my second option is to enter hin in Am-Bred, I will probably be the only one entered, but then will of course compete for WD, which probably won't happen anyways.

So, should I try my luck in tough comipition? Or play it safe with the Am-Bred class? HELP!

If you need any more info on my boy to answer this question let me know.....

(he has had some good placings, no points, but he has gotten 2nd in sweeps (Specialty) in a class of 5 in the 9-12 mos. class, with other numerous good placings, mostly at specialties...I don't know if tnhat helps?)

Number two, yes, also, I have another dilema with this same dog, he doesn't have, you could call it, Charisma in the ring as the other dogs, he usually has to warm up for a show, he's not scared or anything, but he usually just stands in the ring, tail not wagging, I've tried numerous kinds of bait, toys, etc, but the only thing that gets him going, is being at the show for a couple of hours so he can get used to it.

Also, should I hand-stack him (as you saw him in the photo) or free-stack him? here is a video of him freestacking, that's the most of the tail I'll see, usually less, (excuse the posting and pj's, and he's the holding-the-bait too high.)Video...

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...Picture358.flv

Thanks, I appreciate all help!

Hillary

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Stoney Brook is offline Member

DefaultRe: Two dilemas...

Oh, opinions and critques, the good and bad, are welcome!

imported_Page is offline Senior Member

It really is up to you as far as the classes go. The only time I enter into Am Bred is when I have two yelllow or two black dogs in one show. Otherwise I go with Open.
    I couldn't open you video, but I usually prefer freebaiting to hand stacking.
    Good luck!
    Page &amp; the gang - Leo, Dan, Reuben and Asher<br /><br />CH Feather Downs Guardian Angel RN CGC<br />CH Kai Den&#39;s Power Surge<br />Feather Downs A Fair Judge<br />Kai Den&#39;s Stormy Affair CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I'd go with the free stack. He's very slightly aframed in the first picture but stretched way too far in the rear which does not show off his rear angles. His free stack looks more natural and shows him off to a better advantage.

I have the same issue you do. I tried to decide what class to put my girl in. Originally the breeder was going to shower her in BBE but then changed her mind because she really wants me to show her. : We debated over Am Bred or Open black. Around here we usually have several entries in both classes so it really was a coin toss. We finally decided on Am Bred, thinking/hoping that fewer (ie zero) professional handlers would be in that class. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I remember when I first started showing (Oh so long ago...LOL 2 years in reality) I was affraid of the pros and didn't want them in my class, but now that I have beaten them a few times, I am alot more confident! Seriously if you go in any class and walk in confident that you have the WD on the end of your leash you exude the right confidence and even if you don't win, it helps

I'd show him in Am bred, free baited.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Will you be showing to a breeder-judge or an all-arounder?

I'm new, too, so am having fun reading all of the suggestions. Good question!

Just remember that in the Open class, you will be competing with dogs who are often a couple of years older with more maturity on their side. AmBred, not so much...

Someone just recommended to me that I get my guy out of the younger classes because of his maturity (he turns 18 months at the end of April), and get him in AmBred or Open Yellow. We chose Open Yellow for an all-breed show coming up in a couple of weeks just for practice more than anything...we'll see how it goes. It seems like lately all-breed shows just aren't our "forte."

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

I would show in BBE myself, but that is not an option for you. I don't think he is mature enough for Open myself. My 18 mos old girl when not shown by me is in the Am Bred class. She has 3 points from that class (the weekend she turned 18 mos and 1st time out of the 12-18 mos class), so they will pull from it.

krisinme is offline Senior Member

He doesn't look mature enough for open. I would use Ambred. I prefer a freestacked dog myself.