What are your favorite treats to use in the ring?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your favorite treats to use in the ring?

LabDecalLady Guest

DefaultWhat are your favorite treats to use in the ring?

I've been trying different things with Sienna to find what works best for us. Haven't found anything I love yet, so I was wondering what all you experienced ring people use for baiting your dogs in the ring. The things she likes best so far tend to be the treats that aren't as easily chewed and swallowed.

I've heard hot dogs, but I'm not thrilled with that idea, as we are still in a stage where I am treating quite frequently, and I don't want to stuff her full of processed icky meats. Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What are your favorite treats to use in the ring?

I don't do conformation, but Zeke loves string cheese.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Risk is offline Member

I suggest small pieces of cheese, or small pieces of fried liver....that works very well with a lot of dogs!

But it all depends on the type of dog - I personaly take only ordinary kibble which my dog has for his dinner, and for the moments when his attention slips I have pieces of dried fish (actualy cat snack ), all other things are just too much for him, he is way tooooooo greedy :

... a friend of mine usualy fries a big steak for her boy! that's good also if you get hungry ;D

Tina ... and Chance

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Risk
    ... a friend of mine usualy fries a big steak for her boy! that's good also if you get hungry ;D
    I use garlic fried venison steak. And yes, I munch on it almost more than the dogs! In fact in the show last weekend, the judge was going over the dog and asked what the bait was because it smelled so good. Of course I had a mouth full of it (I store tiny bits in my cheeks), and had to try and not spit steak chunks at the judge as I replied!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I buy the Nutro treat sticks, lamb & rice. Another good one is the Natural Balance log, cubed into tiny peices.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I use the Natural Balance turkey "logs" cut into slices, or whatever else I happen to have around. Thank goodness, mine aren't too picky, as long as there is food (or a tiny squeeky toy) involved!

My biggest thing right now has been trying to get more "animation" into that tail on my boy, but doing things like humming, talking to him in a high-pitched voice, playing a lot with him, or get this, "giggling" at him, seem to work much better than treats for that!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

My handler uses specially seasoned chicken tenders that he cooks up in a crockpot but the truth be told if I were showing my boys I'd probably use DOTS, yes the candy DOTS, since although not the healthiest treat on Earth it is the one thing that gets them both incredibly focused on me! *LOL*
    [SIZE=3]Hugs from Anna &amp; Da&#39;Boys...Hamish, Logan, &amp; Benny<br /><br />

LabsRbest1 is offline Junior Member

I use hot dogs! I slice them up and put them on paper towels and cook them in the microwave until they are crunchy! When I'm in the ring I keep them in my mouth. Sounds gross but it works! Also I'm a vegetarian! The things I do for my dogs!
    Dina

LabDecalLady Guest

Great ideas everyone, keep em coming!

LOL about being vegetarian and the hot dogs. You must be a true dog lover! I'd imagine that being a vegetarian, a hot dog is probably one of the last kinds of meats you'd want to have in your mouth!

labtrouble is offline Junior Member

At my last show I resorted to the good old fashioned liver. He loves any food and would probably bait well with anything, but nothing gets the reaction that liver does. I've tried hot dogs, string cheese, assorted dog treats, etc. I can relate to the things we do for our dogs lol, it is the only force on earth that would get me to put liver anywhere near my mouth :-X haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast