Curious about breeding lines

Thread: Curious about breeding lines

Yuna is offline Senior Member

DefaultCurious about breeding lines

I've noticed a few of the breeders around my area using Driftway from Australia. As I've been learning more about labs and breeding lines I really haven't seen many others using the same lines. Is Driftway well known? I'm just curious because a few breeders I've met around here have mentioned them and I was wondering why they're leaning towards them and not some of the other big names.

lol, did that make any sense? I'm not really sure what I'm trying to ask.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Curious about breeding lines

Quote Originally Posted by Yuna
    I've noticed a few of the breeders around my area using Driftway from Australia. As I've been learning more about labs and breeding lines I really haven't seen many others using the same lines. Is Driftway well known? I'm just curious because a few breeders I've met around here have mentioned them and I was wondering why they're leaning towards them and not some of the other big names.

lol, did that make any sense? I'm not really sure what I'm trying to ask.
    When breeding dogs, its not about using the "big names" or the current "big winner". Its about using the right dog for your bitch.

I understand how that makes sense. I guess I'm curious because while talking to a couple of breeders they've pointed out certain names in the pedigree, so obviously there's a preference there. Are there obvious traits that certain lines have? Why look to Australia?

Anyway, like I said, just curious about what a breeder looks for.

Floss has Driftway in her pedigree.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Driftwas is a known line and beautiful dogs. Unfortunately some of the breeders I come across these days using those lines are capitalizing on the "name" and not breeding quality dogs themselves.
    My girl has some Driftway in her pedigree.
    Kim

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Well, now I'm curious...what area do you live in ;D
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

lol, I'm in Alberta. Have you decided if you're coming to Calgary for the March show?

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Ahhh, I figured. When you live in more remote areas, there are relatively fewer breeders (there are a few field breeders in your area but not so many breeders who show). They are like any other breeder and have their lines they work with and they may have placed a dog or two with other breeders in the area and soon you see very similar pedigrees when you go to shows simply because there were fewer lines there to begin with.

When I was in Nova Scotia, a very large number of the dogs were from Corhampton and Lindenhall lines. Nova Scotia is a relatively remote area and breeders may like the other dogs that they see at shows, buy from that breeder or use her stud, and sometimes the pedigrees start to look a bit similar.

You can always ship in semen, but many breeders do not like to use dogs they haven't laid their hands on, so it can get a bit gummy at times, especially if you are in a geographic area where there aren't a lot of specialties where dogs from other areas come in.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Kind of like Arnold!!

What ends up happening is that people who associate through specialty clubs and kennel clubs end up using the same dog. It could be the best choice stuf for their female and it's often picking the "stud of the moment". For example, I am in Colorado, and CH Simerdown's Dr. Pepper is here. When I showed Grace last weekend, the 3 chocolate bitches that placed over Grace were all Pepper babies. NONE of the same Mom's.