English vs. American
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English vs. American

JackieN is offline Senior Member

DefaultEnglish vs. American

Hi..newbie here, I've posted in the newcomers section. Any opinions on English Labs versus American Labs?
    We have an 11 wk old "american" Lab. Just curious!
    Jackie
    <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: English vs. American

The general public will often say "English" and "American" when there are actually three types of Labradors and it has nothing to do with being from England or America.

Show/bench bred Labradors are the ones called "English" and they are the thick and muscular types with big heads and thick coats. They are bred by show breeders but are very versatile making great hunting companions as well as family pets. They are the same the world over - in other words a show dog bred in America will look the same as those in Canada, Europe, Australia, etc.

Dogs that are taller and leaner with more narrow heads and slicker coats are called "American". These can be divided further into field bred and pet bred. Field bred dogs are highly accomplished dogs that compete in field trials and are most often owned by hunters although they do make good family companions as well. Pet bred dogs are the vast majority of Labradors. They don't have the best pedigrees and are bred to be "just pets" and while there is nothing wrong with being just a pet they most often do not come from breeders that are breeding for the right reasons - they don't do routine health clearances (hips, elbows, eyes, heart) and they lack the knowledge of the breed standard and do not compete in anything. Pet bred dogs vary in size and temperament. I have seen some that are 40 lbs and others that are 110 lbs.

There are no "better" family members - if you love your dog that is all that matters but there are superior quality Labradors versus those bred by backyard breeders or puppy mills.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I don't consider pet bred to follow under the "American Lab" moniker...I know of quite a few pet bred labs that are more of the blockier conformation type (although they are not conformation bred). To me, Pet Bred is an entirely different 3rd category, making it "English" (conformation), "American" (field), and Pet Bred.

Of course, thats just my personal interpretation.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sidneygirl is offline Senior Member

I have one of each... I love them both and they are both great dogs.... Of course what Lab isnt ;D
    <br /><br />RUGER, JUST CHILLIN

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZRL
    To me, Pet Bred is an entirely different 3rd category, making it "English" (conformation), "American" (field), and Pet Bred.

Of course, thats just my personal interpretation.
    Actually, that is how I would probably categorize it as well. Around here, there seem to be just as many stocky, more "bench-type" looking "pet bred" labs as those which share characteristics with "field type labs." And, I think that there are many, many reputable breeders of field type labs as well...they just breed for a completely different reason. Still do all of the health clearances (and even more- I would say that more of the field breeders I know test for EIC and epilepsy than the show breeders I know), but are looking for a totally different type of lab.

I have always thought of them as "bench," "field," and "pet-bred," which is often a mix of the other two main types.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't consider pet bred to follow under the "American Lab" moniker...I know of quite a few pet bred labs that are more of the blockier conformation type (although they are not conformation bred). To me, Pet Bred is an entirely different 3rd category, making it "English" (conformation), "American" (field), and Pet Bred.
    I agree. With risk of sounding like a snob, I don't like it when people call pet bred dogs field dogs. I have NOTHING against pet bred dogs. I have one. But a pet bred dog is NOT a field dog. Just because pet bred dogs tend to resemble field type dogs more than the blockier show types does not make them field bred. A true field bred dog is one that comes from a working or trial kennel with a working pedigree and working parents.

This is an old (a year old) picture of one of my boys. He is an English field bred. Both parents are working dogs and he has a solid working pedigree. Note the big different in build between (just using this as an example) between WigWag's Clint and him. They are the same breed but different types...there is a HUGE amount of variety in this breed.

Quote Originally Posted by JackieN
    Hi..newbie here, I've posted in the newcomers section. Any opinions on English Labs versus American Labs?
    We have an 11 wk old "american" Lab. Just curious!
    Jackie
    Hi Jackie. I have both show ( conformation labs ) and field ( north american)labs. here are two pictures one of Cash( who is a field trial lab and comes from total working line, and Scout who is a show( conformation style lab). you can see the difference in build of the dogs. not saying one is better than the other, it depends on what the purpose of the dog or breeding in used for. Conformation labs are bulkier in size and do not have the length of leg and speed and drive as a field dog, but not saying they can not do it, yes they can but at a different pace.

D &amp; T Branch<br />Harrow Ont <br />Bluesouth Labradors Reg&#39;d<br />[email protected]

here are two more styles of conformation or show dogs.

D &amp; T Branch<br />Harrow Ont <br />Bluesouth Labradors Reg&#39;d<br />[email protected]

JackieN is offline Senior Member

Thanks to all who answered. Before we bought Dakota, I did a lot of research and that's where I found out about the "types". Dakota is an offspring of field champions (and he is from the "american/field style". His father is a champion, his mother is going for her Master's this spring. The couple we bought him from raises and trains hunting labs and any other dogs people might bring to them for training, ie: goldens, etc. They own 5 or 6 labs, couple of blacks and a few chocolates. They only breed their dogs once or twice a year at the most. Dakota's mother was absolutely beautiful and very calm. I was on the floor with 5 day old puppies, holding one, and she was standing right there, calm. Then she started feeding them, and I was petting her at the same time. Great mom.
    His father weighed roughly 70lbs, Mom was a bit less. He was one of the bigger pups, 13+ lbs at 5 weeks old. Right now, he's getting too heavy for us to pick up, we can..but oh boy..LOL

Thanks to all again..nice to be here... Jackie
    <br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

CityGirl is offline Member

I'm not sure which one mine is..
    Take a peek! any ideas?
    Lab Lover<br />I&#039;ve been touched!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast