Preparing a puppy for showing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing a puppy for showing

Yuna is offline Senior Member

DefaultPreparing a puppy for showing

I'm hoping to get some advice from the experts here since I'm a complete newb to the dog show world.

Floss was born July 31st, so she'll be 4mths soon. What kinds of things should I be doing to prepare her for Showing? She's enrolled in puppy classes, when she's finished we'll be going to handling classes. What kinds of things should we be doing at home?

Also, at what age should should we be thinking about showing her? I know there ar categories for puppies, but how do I know if she's ready to enter? Should I be looking at upcoming shows near my area to enter her into?

I'll be talking to my breeder, she wants to take a look at her to make sure she's coming along, but I'd like to prepare if she gives me the go ahead.
    <br />Windanna&#039;s Fairy Floss

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Preparing a puppy for showing

Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Continue socializing as much as possible. Also, I would start to free bait at this age. Just a little hint, they all seem to want to sit when you first start baiting. Only give the treat if she remains standing. Make a game of it. It should be FUN for her.

My breeder mentioned this when we picked her up. How often should I be working her during the day? What should I expect while showing my puppy?

Thanks for your reply.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would work on it a few minutes, several times a day. Make it a fun game...stand for the treat. Then, don't move for the treat. They learn fast at that age.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Ditto what Jen said.* You don't want to make it work at this age.* With Boudreaux, I just worked him everyday when I unloaded from the truck at work.* I baited him several times between the truck and the backyard of the clinic each day.* Worked like a charm.* To this day, he starts barking when I drive into the driveway at work. LOL

I'm looking at http://www.albertadogs.com/dog_shows.htm and notice a show in Feb.* If my breeder gives me the go ahead would this show be too soon to consider?* What would entering her depend on?* How would I prepare and how soon in advance would I need to prepare?* I'm thinking about the puppy category here.

I really appreciate your advice.*

Wanted to add, i'm going to check out the show in Dec to get a better idea about how they work. I've only been to a few but I'll be going to this show with a bit more knowledge than I've had previously.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

As long as the pup is 6 months, I would put them in the youngest puppy class and go for it. The judges KNOW they have babies in the ring, so just do your best. Any matches going on that you can attend?

There's something coming up in February. What is a typical day like? What would I bring, what time do I arrive etc? The show is in my city.

PirateLabs is offline Senior Member

Make it as informal and FUN as posslbe. I just incorporate training into everyday life at this point-ie. walking on a leash in a semi controlled manner, allowing me to check her bite 'whenever' and not always when she has been stacked, teaching 'steady'(I use that instead of STAY) when handstacking, moving limbs around for handstacking, teaching puppies to bait and stand for treats-all this can be done anywhere(and do it anywhere ie. in front of the local large grocery store)anytime. Phone the Hunts and ask them to recommend some handling classes to get to, will give you puppy distractions to learn to tune out. Yes, go to the show in December, watch Labs and other Sporting breeds to get a sense of what is expected. Having a sensible, somewhat calm puppy to walk into the ring with, even with a novice handler, is often better than unsocialized, or wild puppy with experienced person. Most of the family dogs I have shown that I bred finish easily as they are well socialized and easy to mold into 'show dog' routines.
    Keep us informed on how you are doing!
    Cheers,<br />Kim

threelabs is offline Senior Member

I would arrive early enough prior to lab judging for your puppy to get a bit acclimated. Walk him around a bit so he gets familiar with the sights and sounds. Find your ring and watch your judge so you know what he does - where does he have the dogs line up?, does he do down and back or triangle, etc. that way you know what to expect when you go in the ring.

Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast