Loss of attention because of female in heat

Thread: Loss of attention because of female in heat

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultLoss of attention because of female in heat

Just wonder if you all have experienced this, and how to overcome it.

I was showing Hudler in a UKC show this weekend and someone was showing their puppy bitch in season. He caught one whiff and it was all over. He was whining, lacked the attention, bait didn't work, and then we had to compete against each other and it was history. We were first in line, and he was just about running backwards. In hindsight, it might have been better to put the bitch first in line, at least Hud would have been running forwards!!!

Is this common? I think I probably would have left my female at home and dropped out of the show had she gone into season...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Loss of attention because of female in heat

Conformation gals can be shown in heat. Ruby is in season now, and I wish I would have entered her in a show because she looks winderful. Most girls are blooming when in season, so look their best, and so it is not fair not to show them when they are in season.

Your boy needs to have some controlled experience with females in season.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Charlie will do this to me (never to his regular handler, Lori :). About the only that will get his attention after that sniff is a pocket FULL of chicken breast. Thank goodness food is as important to him as procreation. ;D

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I haven't (thank goodness) had to go through that yet, but I know that there have been multiple females in standing heat at several recent shows I've been to, including the recent specialty, with well-controlled stud dogs all over the place (at least 50-60 of them, the stud dogs, I mean!).

I agree- most girls look their finest when they're in season. No reason to leave them at home (though you should always warn the judge going over the girl so s/he doesn't get "ickies" on their hands unexpectedly).... for the most part, I've heard the more boys are shown under these circumstances, the better. It is a great way to teach them control and manners, both of which they should have.

Sorry to hear about your experience with it. I'm sure my "time" is coming where I'll be dealing with the same thing, LOL!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hudler's been a sheltered boy most of his life, but now that he's going out to all these obedience events, and I am going to show him UKC, he's going to have to get used to that....AND me too. It will be a real testament to my handling skills if I can show him well under those circumstances!