Ring-Secrets !!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ring-Secrets !!

pluto is offline Senior Member

DefaultRing-Secrets !!

5 Days to go before Pluto's first ring expereince and I am very nervous . Having handeled GSD's all my life I am going to be handeling a Lab for the first time . I would love to know what some of the other breedrer/handelers do before they enter the show ring . Any grooming tips ? , How to go about it ? I have heard that a light spray of BEER and WATER before the entering can do wonders for the shine (never needed to use it on my shepards though ) as well as that a tad bit of Olive Oil rubbed over the hands can also make the coat more attractive !! Are these sollutions worth exercising ? Pluto is looking good and I will post a Pic of him at 8.5 month once i can find someone to stack him while I click away I hope Labby , Pirate , Wigwag and others can share some of their magic as my brother basically told me to go freestyle and natural !i

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ring-Secrets !!

Sorry About the quality , the Dude stacking pluto couldnt handle him that well !! I'll try to have someone else click while I stack him !! He is aprox. 8 months and 10 days!

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

I just give the dogs a good rinse with good ole water the night before the show so that they are clean. I think natural is best.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs
    I just give the dogs a good rinse with good ole water the night before the show so that they are clean.* I think natural is best.*

Thats basically what we do with GSD's but we use a little bit of Mink oil spray !

How do you think he's comming along? I'd love to get opinions since y'all have seen him grow up !!

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Many will use Listerine and water, but yellows don't need much.
    I think he needs to settle on his rear before you see too much success with him. Go out and have fun but remember, he still has a lot of changing to do and right now his parts aren't fitting as well as they could.
    Nice front, good coat, good bone, bad age
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I just recently heard the listerine/water trick. Wondered why I kept smelling listerine at the specialty! HA HA

I found that just a good brushing with a damp coat (spray bottle) and maybe a little Mink Oil a few days ahead work the best. I get too much flaking if I do a full on bath, even if it's a few days prior.

Does one just add listerine to a spray bottle along with the water and spray it or do you apply it in a different way ? Also how much prior to the ring appearences do you do the listerine trick ?

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I have used a 50:50 original Listerine:water solution, and have sprayed them down with that and then rub down with a towel either the night before or the morning of (early), so it gets a chance to dry. It takes away most of any "doggie," etc. smell that they may have and cleans them up just a bit. I use regular water just before a class if I need to...I don't want to take a dog into the ring that has just been dampened and smells like Listerine.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

WigWag Guest

He's got good substance for such a young pup and a very nice coat and short back. I would like to see more rear angulation and for that front to straighten out (the feet are turned out especially the left one) - hopefully these will change as he grows. I recently had a big name breeder tell me that her lines have good rear angles as young 8 week old pups and then by a 12 months they are straight in the rear but then by 2 years old it comes back.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Also, when you're in the ring, make sure the dog's collar does not bunch up the dog's neck skin against his chin. I don't know how to explain it any better. :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast