Just Labradors banner

Ring-Secrets !!

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  pluto 
#1 ·
5 Days to go before Pluto's first ring expereince and I am very nervous . Having handeled GSD's all my life I am going to be handeling a Lab for the first time . I would love to know what some of the other breedrer/handelers do before they enter the show ring . Any grooming tips ? , How to go about it ? I have heard that a light spray of BEER and WATER before the entering can do wonders for the shine (never needed to use it on my shepards though ) as well as that a tad bit of Olive Oil rubbed over the hands can also make the coat more attractive !! Are these sollutions worth exercising ? Pluto is looking good and I will post a Pic of him at 8.5 month once i can find someone to stack him while I click away I hope Labby , Pirate , Wigwag and others can share some of their magic as my brother basically told me to go freestyle and natural !i

#4 ·
nwlabs said:
I just give the dogs a good rinse with good ole water the night before the show so that they are clean.  I think natural is best. 

Thats basically what we do with GSD's but we use a little bit of Mink oil spray !

How do you think he's comming along? I'd love to get opinions since y'all have seen him grow up !!

#5 ·
Many will use Listerine and water, but yellows don't need much.
I think he needs to settle on his rear before you see too much success with him. Go out and have fun but remember, he still has a lot of changing to do and right now his parts aren't fitting as well as they could.
Nice front, good coat, good bone, bad age ;)

#6 ·
I just recently heard the listerine/water trick. Wondered why I kept smelling listerine at the specialty! HA HA

I found that just a good brushing with a damp coat (spray bottle) and maybe a little Mink Oil a few days ahead work the best. I get too much flaking if I do a full on bath, even if it's a few days prior.

#8 ·
I have used a 50:50 original Listerine:water solution, and have sprayed them down with that and then rub down with a towel either the night before or the morning of (early), so it gets a chance to dry. It takes away most of any "doggie," etc. smell that they may have and cleans them up just a bit. I use regular water just before a class if I need to...I don't want to take a dog into the ring that has just been dampened and smells like Listerine. ;)

G
#9 ·
He's got good substance for such a young pup and a very nice coat and short back. I would like to see more rear angulation and for that front to straighten out (the feet are turned out especially the left one) - hopefully these will change as he grows. I recently had a big name breeder tell me that her lines have good rear angles as young 8 week old pups and then by a 12 months they are straight in the rear but then by 2 years old it comes back.

#12 ·
pluto said:
make sure the dog's collar does not bunch up the dog's neck skin against his chin
Not an issue since he'll be free stacked with a loose collar . Pluto's very hard to get alert unless there are many dogs present but once there are a few dogs here and there he is really about himself.
He won't move on a loose collar though. Be sure to get the lead right under his neck to move him. I hate to see dogs in the ring looking like they have double chins....and there are a lot of them with inexperienced handlers.

#13 ·
Grooming also comes from within and there are no last minute fixes for poor quality coat due to nutition or conditioning. Being said, that is not Plutos problem. He looks like good coat for age. If he is clean and not smelly, you don't need to do anything. Yellows don't show 'dander' like blks or chocolates can and a coat isn't to 'sparkle' in a Lab. You want the dog to exude health and vitality but a good harsh top coat will look clean and feel clean to touch. A good brush the day before to loosen any surface dirt is all that you need. If he is really oily, and really 'oily smelly', a bath two weeks before might be in order. Clean environment helps to keep clean dog:). Make sure his nails are trimmed a few days before and his ears cleaned too. With his age, his teeth sound be all that 'sparkles white' on him. Since he is a little high in rear, take a comb and try and comb that coat over his hip bones down. You might take your hand to his mid back while in the ring to push the coat in the opposite direction to give the illusion of level topline. While this trick can work standing still, once he is on the move, all will be revealed.
He is a baby, keep it light, keep it fun and make sure its all positive. Like Dana said, you likely will be a while before really good wins with being at growth period with him.

#14 ·
Allright guys the FIRST SHOW IS OVER!! Pluto is still at the stage where he hasnt realized he is a Labrador retreiver yet ;) as he was wanting to play with all the Rotties and Mastiffs who would have really ruffed him up (pluto's been spoiled quite nicely) .

In the first ring He cleared his class ( 16 dogs ) and Was 3rd out of the lineup (one dog from OPEN class , one dog from ADULT class , One from INTERMEDIATE,One from PUPPY and one from JUNIOR class) . He missed the Rcc by one position although cleared his class ahead of some very good dogs!!

In the second ring he cleared his class again (13 dogs) and Stood second out of the all classes (not the champion class ofcourse) .

He was awarded one Rcc and One award of Merit !!

Pics will be posted as soon as i upload them and all in all it was a great outing (a busy one for me with the GSD's) only dissapointing thing for me was that I couldnt handle the GSD's (no double handeling at an all breed show) however I think that i have found the liking I needed to venture into the LABRADOR RETRIEVER world!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.