Should I send Scotty's hips x-rays to OFA?

Thread: Should I send Scotty's hips x-rays to OFA?

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultShould I send Scotty's hips x-rays to OFA?

When Scotty was limping in his rear legs, the vets sedated him and took x-rays of his hips and stifles (not sure about the hocks) to make shure there were no bone issues. Well, since we have the x-rays, I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to have OFA look at them. Any suggestions?

I won't be breeding Scotty, so it's not for that reason; I am just curious. The vet said his hips looked beautifully, but I know that a general practitioner vet is not as educated as an ortho vet.

BTW, Scotty has not been limping since Tuesday. He's still on rest, but I am more and more hopeful that it was just a muscle sore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Should I send Scotty's hips x-rays to OFA?

Talk to Stacy. Some breeders want you to do them so they can see how their dogs are producing.

Laura

yellwlab is offline Member

I would, just so you know what you can expect down the road. If, for example, they came back Fair or worse, you might choose to exercise him differently or modify his diet, or add supplements. That sort of thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

FrenchMaddie is offline Member

Sorry, this may sounda bit odd. Did you vet take the Xrays just to look at the hips? I only say that because I believe in Europe the X-rays taken for hip/elbow scoring (I assume that's what you mean by OFA) have to be taken from a very specific angle and if they are not it can cause all sort of hassle. Forgive me if I am barking totally up the wrong tree. (Blooming foreigners!!) I had my choocie X-rayed for the same reason (not cos I wanted to breed but she'd had various articulation issues through her adolescence) but I asked my vet to take the plates specifically for hip/elbow scoring so they complied with the BVA scheme (British Veterinary Association) requirements.
    Nicola, Milly, Coco and Blue!<br />&quot;No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich&quot; - Louis Sabin<br />

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

True, here in the USA the hip xrays are done a specific way for OFA certification. It's POSSIBLE that the xray tech took them in the right manner, but most likely NOT.

Honestly, why waste the money? If the vet says everything looks fine, you aren't going to be breeding him, there is really NO need to send to OFA. I know many do xrays for peace of mind, which you now have...

You could talk to your breeder, but I am really wondering if they took the films in the way that OFA would want them...you might ask your vet...

WigWag Guest

True, here in the USA the hip xrays are done a specific way for OFA certification. It's POSSIBLE that the xray tech took them in the right manner, but most likely NOT.
    OFA looks at a standard VD hip x-ray which is how hips would be looked at by a vet for any suspected problem. They are not taken in any special way.

I wouldn't bother. It's when hips are borderline that some regular practitioners have a problem or sometimes a false negative can be given meaning the hips are normal but the vet sees something that just isn't really there or poor positioning causes false laxity in the films. If hips are either normal or dysplastic most vets worth their salt can tell the difference.

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't bother either. I have a 10 year old girl with grade 2 who has never limped on her hind and still walks an hour each day with me, plus swimming. She competed in obedience until she was 6 with no problems.
    If it were severe HD, you would know by now without the film, and if it is moderate or mild, they need regular moderate exercise anyway, so there is no sense IMO.
    Glad they look good!
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous