Labrador temperament - need to vent
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Labrador temperament - need to vent

labtalestoo is offline Junior Member

DefaultLabrador temperament - need to vent

Recently, I've come across some really bad Labrador temperament and what bothers me the most is that the breeders don't seem to recognize it.* They make excuses and justify the unwarranted snarling and growling.* *:-[* This makes me really sad.* Sad that this sort of thing is being passed on.*

NO NASTY LABS!

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming. :-X

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Labrador temperament - need to vent

I've seen a few semi-dog-aggressive (and definitely a couple of crate-aggressive) labs over the past few months showing. I hate that this is a problem...part of what I like most about labs is that they are just so happy-go-lucky, and that you can let a bunch of intact males into a field together and they will romp and play like long-lost friends. I hate to see anything interfere with that mentality...

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

WigWag Guest

They make excuses and justify the unwarranted snarling and growling. This makes me really sad. Sad that this sort of thing is being passed on
    I totally agree. I see and interact with far too many dog aggressive Labradors that are show/breeding dogs. I've heard the "boys will be boys" from some breeders who I think should know better. I've seen males attack other dogs and one time a top handler in this area had a boy who attacked another dog viciously at a specialty and she yelled at the other dog owner/handler for getting too close!!! I was shocked. I too see bad temperaments from certain lines and by certain dogs and yet people continue to breed to and into those problems. They either don't know or they don't care and either way it's a shame in my opinion. Temperament should be the number one priority in this breed. A bad tempered dog is no good to anyone as a show dog, hunter, and most of all family companion.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    They either don't know or they don't care.......
    I pick door #2. They don't care. I've seen it time and time again around here.

Laura

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag
    Temperament should be the number one priority in this breed.* A bad tempered dog is no good to anyone as a show dog, hunter, and most of all family companion.*
    Amen!! I don't care how drop dead gorgeous a dog is, if it has a horrible temperament, that doesn't "say Labrador" to ME and I will go elsewhere.

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Totall agree but how do you find out? It's one thing when you go to your area specialties/shows and see the dogs, talk to breeders, etc. but if the dog is totally at the other end of the country, it is more difficult to find out what their temperment is. I know you are supposed to ask the breeder/owner but I've found out they don't tell you everything.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

How do you find out more about a potential stud dog when deciding on a breeding if you don't have him locally? Or heck, even if you do have him locally?

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

labtalestoo is offline Junior Member

Granted, it is more difficult to find out about a potential stud's temperament; however, when it is one's OWN BITCH with bad temperament, what excuse does one have? When it is one's own bitch who gets just plain nasty and then her get is the same way, why on earth would one continue to breed her? I'm sick of hearing that these bitches are "just bitchy" or "coming into season" or whatever other excuse some breeders use to help them sleep at night. If she has aggression issues, SPAY HER!!! I cannot think of a worse disservice to the breed than to knowingly reproduce this.

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by threelabs
    Totall agree but how do you find out? It's one thing when you go to your area specialties/shows and see the dogs, talk to breeders, etc.* but if the dog is totally at the other end of the country, it is more difficult to find out what their temperment is. I know you are supposed to ask the breeder/owner but I've found out they don't tell you everything.
    Easy. I won't use a dog that I have not layed my hands on and met myself (or a good friend whom I trust). THis is easily done at specialties, etc. I

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labtalestoo
    Granted, it is more difficult to find out about a potential stud's temperament; however, when it is one's OWN BITCH with bad temperament, what excuse does one have? When it is one's own bitch who gets just plain nasty and then her get is the same way, why on earth would one continue to breed her? I'm sick of hearing that these bitches are "just bitchy" or "coming into season" or whatever other excuse some breeders use to help them sleep at night. If she has aggression issues, SPAY HER!!! I cannot think of a worse disservice to the breed than to knowingly reproduce this.

Yep yep. Know of a bitch who went after another bitch in bitch #2's own home. Bitch #1 was still bred though.

Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast