Ganglies?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ganglies?

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

DefaultGanglies?

Ok, this might stupid or obsessive (take your pick, lol), but I finally have what I might possibly consider my first show prospect. She was so beautifully balanced at 6-8 weeks, but now at 10 weeks she seems to have gotten a case of what I have no other word to describe but the "ganglies". Do they grow out of this?

Thanks in advance,
    Darcy
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ganglies?

Well, they do have to grow ya know

WigWag Guest

Yes as Peggy mentioned they do grow and sometimes unevenly and also can "come and go" where they are put together for a while only to fall apart!

I just was on your website and your new field bred chocolate puppy is adorable. She is not the one you are talking about though correct? She has a wonderful pedigree but being from all FC dogs she would not be expected to look like anything like a show puppy.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Peggy and Sharon!* That's what I thought.* Yes, Blue is the one I'm talking about.* My other girl (Daisy) could never be mistaken for a show dog- not with those legs, lol!* Actually, even though Blue is field bred, she had the same qualities as her mother at 8 weeks (one of the reasons I picked her besides her temperment).* It's really too bad her mother (Chip) was only shown to a hunt title as she does have very lovely conformation- good bone, nice angles, nice head piece, lovely shoulder layback, proper coat (not thin like most field breds, but thick and with an unmistakeable double coat), and an otter tail to complete the package.* I hope Blue comes back to me.* If she doesn't, I will of course enjoy putting a hunt or field title on her, but it would just also be nice if she picked up a few conformation points along the way.* I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and wait and see...

Thanks again,
    Darcy
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I answered on the "other" forum

Do you have pics of the parents?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

WigWag Guest

I don't want you to take this the wrong way at all - that pedigree is loaded with top quality dogs but field trial winners and not show dogs. A dog with a field pedigree will absolutely not look like a show type dog. I can see the photo of your pup's mom on your website and of course she is a beautiful and top quality Labrador but she is bred for the field and not the show ring and I can see that right away. I'm sure she does adhere to the standard, however she does not have the type for the conformation ring. Structure and type are two very different areas. Her head alone is not a show type head. There is a big difference between show dogs and field dogs and even a "prettier" field dog really looks nothing like a show type dog. If you really want a dog that will be able to be shown you must search for a show breeder. Pups often are chunkier looking at 7 - 8 weeks but then thin out and grow to look like the parents.

Here is a photo of Cuda (Barracuda Blue) who is in your girl's pedigree and he is a handsome dog but certainly not a show dog and I think his owner would not think it was a compliment if anyone said he looked like a show dog!

Cuda son:

This is a very nice show type male Davy (Stonecrest's Davy Crockett)

Show type chocolate bitch:

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Blue has a nice head from the one shot, I would love to see more photos. The others are right that the pup at 10 weeks still has ALOT of growing to do, and who knows what she will turn out since she is from hunting lines (my Maddy is a Cuda grand-puppy...as so many hunting dogs are!)....

The old adage is that what you see at 8 weeks is what you are supposed to get when the dog is full grown. Don't know if I fully believe that as Grace had a wonderfully straight topline and tailset with awesome rear angles at 8 weeks, and isn't that hot now at 16 months. She is still show worthy, though I don't know if we'll ever see WB with her.

My best advice is find Matches to go to!! You can usually start showing at a match around 4 months unless it's an A Match, and then it's 6 months....see what the people have to say, what the judges have to say...And by then you'll start to see what Blue is turning into for real...

Sharon, I do understand what you are saying (I'm very aware of the two different types, my other girl is of definate field type- no mistaking her legs and lankiness, lol!) and I do appreciate the advise, but how Chip looks like in that picture of her sitting does not give you a very good idea of what she looks like in person (I also believe she was fairly young in that sitting pic, not fully mature).* In fact, she does indeed look very much like the picture of the bitch you posted.* Actually, the resemblence is very striking!* Who is she?

Darcy
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Blue has a nice head from the one shot, I would love to see more photos.* The others are right that the pup at 10 weeks still has ALOT of growing to do, and who knows what she will turn out since she is from hunting lines (my Maddy is a Cuda grand-puppy...as so many hunting dogs are!)....

The old adage is that what you see at 8 weeks is what you are supposed to get when the dog is full grown.* Don't know if I fully believe that as Grace had a wonderfully straight topline and tailset with awesome rear angles at 8 weeks, and isn't that hot now at 16 months.* She is still show worthy, though I don't know if we'll ever see WB with her.*

My best advice is find Matches to go to!!* You can usually start showing at a match around 4 months unless it's an A Match, and then it's 6 months....see what the people have to say, what the judges have to say...And by then you'll start to see what Blue is turning into for real...
    Sorry, I must have just missed this post when I posted last.* Thanks.* I guess I should have just closed my eyes at 8 weeks.* It's too bad that I did not put her up on a table at that time and take a few pics (I definately regret that now), but I'm very novice (ok, complete amateur, lol) when it comes to attempting to stack- which is the reason I've enrolled myself in a few handling classes.* I have pictures of her now, but now is almost a complete turn around of then.* The pictures I have of her from 6-8 weeks are just of her goofing around- being a typical Lab pup, lol!* (Btw, I need to get those pics up on the site...)

Thanks, I didn't know that about the matches.* I wonder what kind they have at our local kennel club?* I'll have to ask.* I don't plan to go national with her or anything.* My experience, my budget, and possibly her overall quality (depending upon how she turns out) won't allow it.* But, I do think she could pick up at least a few points at the local club.* That would be the most I'd be after being a novice and my first time doing any of this.* I don't want to reach for the stars and then only be able to barely grab the roof, if you know what I mean.* I guess it's definately a wait and see thing...here's crossing my fingers that she comes back...

Thanks again,
    Darcy
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors

In Loving Memory:

WigWag Guest

I really just have one more point to add. There are hundreds of thousands of Labradors competing in the show ring and to my knowlegde there has never been a dog with a strictly field pedigree that has finished in at least 30 years. There are only a handful with any field in their pedigree at all and that includes ones that have championships and are not finished but have points. One dog that has some field in his pedigree is CH Franklin Pickpocket O' Kerrybrook MHhttp://www.kerrybrook.com/pictures/pete_pics.shtml and he has sired some dogs that have points but not many. I know one dog bred by Candlewood has some championship points and her dam was field bred but that has been the only one of her kind and the dog Petey has sired a lot of litters.

Dogs that are strictly field bred never set foot in the ring for a reason. I'm not saying this is negative in any way - they were just bred for a different purpose and most field breeders have no desire to show. If you have one that could be competitive agains show type dogs then you literally have one in a million. It's actually never happened before.

Many newcomers think their field dog looks similar to a show type dog but this is due to a novice eye.

To be totally honest your other dog is really not typical of field bred dogs with the pedigree of your young pup. I see a very atypical head on your other dog with an almost complete lack of stop. She looks more pet bred to me than field bred. Your new pup will look different than she does but will look like a typical field bred dog.

I don't want to argue and if you take my thoughts and opinions and do not agree then of course that is your opinion. I am just trying to educate. I wonder if you were interested in showing why you would choose such a pedigree? Are you interested in hunt tests and field trials? That is where she will surely excel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast