Our SVLRC specialty experience...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our SVLRC specialty experience...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultOur SVLRC specialty experience...

Monty was a very good boy, and as newbies, we learn every single time we go in the ring (and every single time we see photos)! I now realize that I had him a bit too strung-up (he kept trying to sniff the ground, though he was staying in the next crate over from 2 bitches in season, so he was a typical 10-month-old teenaged boy during this trip, LOL- it was great "proofing!"), but he was a bit more animated than he otherwise has been... he was having fun!

I found out that if I tease him a bit by doing a gentle "pinch" of his front legs, he goes spastic in the ring... he was doing a lot of jumping on me, which was a pain with the brick-red dirt all over my clothes, but it was better than him just standing there with his tail down like in this photo, "willing" treats to fall out of my hands.

One of my biggest "problems" in the conformation ring when jogging around with him is that Monty is always quite attentive. It will be great someday in the obedience ring, but in the meantime, he will start to curve in front of me staring up at my face and I'll trip over him, which isn't always looking the best, either. LOL

Here, we're actually turning to come back after our down-and-back to the corner... but you can still see his attention!

(Thanks for the photos, Tatyana!!! You are a wonderful photographer!)

Other things I learned...
    When Monty doesn't want to go back in his crate in the hotel room (his first hotel stay), he provides quite the show! What a clown...my favorite is when he dashes across the room and hides behind the bed (please ignore the obnoxious giggles. It was late!) Sorry these are so dark- if it helps, my SU is standing with his hands on top of a soft crate, holding the door flap open and egging Monty on:
    http://www.zippyvideos.com/357467854...n_hotel_room1/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/231658422...n_hotel_room2/

http://www.zippyvideos.com/796019295...n_hotel_room3/

Forlorn looks from across the bed are hilarious when you're trying to read late at night:

And sometimes, there are things that must be good to smell in front of hotel refrigerators... I don't even want to think about it (Monty sat here with his butt up in the air for at least 15 min sniffing the ground right there):

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Our SVLRC specialty experience...

Oh, I forgot to mention placements...

Monty got 4th in sweeps/regular 9-12 month puppy boys on Friday at the specialty under Dr. Leslie Williams, DVM (sweeps)/Mrs. Pauline Mortier (regular) behind some beautiful Hyspire puppy boys.

1st on Saturday and Sunday in 9-12 month puppy boys at the supported entry Gold Country K.C. shows under Mrs. Andrea Braxton Robertson and Dr. Elizabeth L. Wenner, respectively.

and 2nd sweeps/1st regular 9-12 month puppy boys on Monday back for the 2nd day of the specialty under Mrs. Linda Mafett (sweeps)/Ms. Laura Dedering (regular). The sweeps judge was very nice, came up to me after the class and told me that Monty was a "very, very nice boy," but that he was slightly lame- he had cut his paw between 2 toes the day before sometime around the Winners Dog class and was limping a bit on his right front... we figured out that if he could carry his squeeker toy, he forgot about his owie for the regular class when moving, and thank goodness he is back to normal! I've learned a lot about things to try and things to avoid when a dog has an owie paw at a show. And, it sounds strange, but I was so incredibly relieved when I saw blood between his toes... trauma isn't pleasant, but thank goodness that was all that it was!

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

JP
    JP is offline Senior Member

Julie - your little man sure is doing well and learning the ropes. Congrats on his nice wins and placements!! Can sympathise with your relief at the cut paw, especially at this age...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

I enjoyed your story and your photos - well done to the both of you.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Congrats on the wins....very exciting. I liked reading your experience so that I can take some of it and put it to use when I throw Grace in the ring. We are in again Saturday, our first time in Open Choc.

PirateLabs is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a great time, good placements and his side movement photo is terrific!
    Cheers
    Cheers,<br />Kim

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    Congrats on the wins....very exciting.* I liked reading your experience so that I can take some of it and put it to use when I throw Grace in the ring.* We are in again Saturday, our first time in Open Choc.
    Thanks! It was a ton of fun, and a show with some wonderful, wonderful people there. I don't know if you can beat lab people for being overall so friendly and outgoing. It helped to have a few friends there to share my EZ Up with, though. I find it amazing how so many top-name breeders with such beautiful dogs are so friendly and warm toward "nobodies" like myself (you know what I mean...I know I'm not "nobody" but I may as well be in the lab ring!)! I definitely go out of my way to smile, say "hi," compliment people's dogs, and congratulate people on their wins/good placements, though.

For what it's worth, another item that will now never be left out of our show bag is the toothache gel- Ambucil (sp?) or Oragel (benzocaine gel). It worked so well...even though the show was already over by the time we ran to get it at the grocery store, it kept Monty comfortable and numb enough not to lick his paw constantly afterward! Definitely a good tip from his breeder... only for superficial wounds/cuts/abrasions, though. I wouldn't put it in anything deep, and obviously it isn't going to work if they have a muscle/tendon or orthopedic ache/pain.

Good luck in that Open Choc class! I'll be routing for you from southern California!!!

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Monty did great - congratulations. Loved your story and pictures to go with

Thanks, everyone! We had such a great time, and I really loved being able to watch so many gorgeous dogs in classes after ours! I always wonder whether the dogs are different in different areas of the country- any thoughts?

I can't wait to read the judge's critiques... I think that is such a great thing to do at these specialty shows! I hope I actually get to see them this time. When Monty took 2nd in his 6-9 month class right after he turned 6 months at the end of April, he had a judge's critique written up by the judge (who is from England, I think)... that club has never received the critiques. I have sure enjoyed reading critiques from other shows in LQ.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

those videos were too funny!!! monty has this look on his face like "huh?! you want me to kennel what?!"
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast