LRC of America Regulation Question

Thread: LRC of America Regulation Question

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultLRC of America Regulation Question

I saw this on the LRC website:
    Note:
    No member of the Club shall use the title "CH" in front of the name of a registered Labrador Retriever dog until said dog, having won a conformation championship, shall also receive a working certificate or the equivalent as defined in this Article.

Is that a current rule? (I just wondered because I haven't really seen much about WCs before)
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: LRC of America Regulation Question

No that is not a new rule. If a dog is finished and does not have a WC then it is still an AKC champion. To be considered a champion listed with the LRC then the dog needs a WC. This helps promote the dual purpose dog.

ZRL

Oh, OK. That makes sense. Do most LRC members get the WC so their dogs can be listed as a CH in the LRC records, or are most people happy with AKC CH?

(I'm new to most things conformationally related...)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would imagine the LRC members do get the WC as why bother belonging to the club if you aren't going to adhere to the standards. You can't just join but must have several reference letters from other members. But not every lab breeder or person who shows labs belongs to the club.

The WC is pretty easy if you have a dog with natural ability. I put one on my girl Maddy. She's spayed and excels at working. I don't have the time to properly train her to pass the hunting tests, but flew through the WC.

ZRL

Oh, OK.

I guess I assumed that most people were members of the parent club, which is what confused me. Now I "get it".

Thanks.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ruger got his WC at 9 months old with no previous training. If they have the natural ability, the test is fun and pretty easy for them. I worried the most when he had to retrieve from the water.. he was way out in the pond and I was way worried about alligators!!!

Ruger will never have a CH in front of his name cause he's got no balls (he's neutered). But he has plenty of fun letters at the end of his name to make up for it.

WigWag Guest

WCs vary with different clubs. My club (LRC of Greater Boston) puts on a relatively tough WC and most dogs have some experience going into the test ie field work and exposure to birds, guns, and cover. A shot flyer on land and two water singles. The marks are about 50 - 75 yards in minimum cover but it's still cover - no short mowed fields. Real birds are used - pheasants on land and ducks in the water. Handlers must stay at the line and the dog must mark well and pick up the bird relatively quickly. Some hunting up is allowed but if the dog comes back to the handler he/she is DQ'd.

Some clubs use Dokken deadfowlers or even bumpers. Some are lenient as well allowing a lot of coaxing and even the handler to walk into the field and some have very short easy marks.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The LRC of So. Cal ran a pretty tough one too. We used a live pigeon on land, and a live and dead duck in water. They do allow talking and coaxing to the dog though because it's supposed to be fun and not as strict as a hunt test. But the dogs had to run the distance and all.