what percent of litter show quality?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what percent of litter show quality?

Defaultwhat percent of litter show quality?

I am curious if anyone knows when a champion/titled lab is bred w/one that is not (but does have good bloodlines/papers, etc), how many of the puppies end up being "show quality"?

I ask because I am 4th in line for a female, and this litter had only 3 females. The person in front of us only wants show quality. So, I'm just trying to figure out my odds of getting this puppy.

Thanks!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: what percent of litter show quality?

Depends on the breeder's standards, but usually you are lucky if you can find one or two to run on, including the males.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by FallRiver
    Depends on the breeder's standards, but usually you are lucky if you can find one or two to run on, including the males.
    I agree!!! Although there are some who will sell as show prospects what others would place as pets. Depends on the breeder.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I don't think there is a magical number that you can count on. The litter Grace came from had 11 puppies, and only 2 were show possible pups...Male went to pet home because he was the only choco boy already promised before birth, and Grace was the best pick girl, which was promised to me.

Usually breeders who plan on placing pups in show homes tell the puppy buyers that the pups going to the show homes go first, then people pick from what's left. If they are 7-8 weeks already, the breeder should know if any pups are looking good enough for showing....It just sounds odd that there are 3 girls born, you are 4th in line and 3rd in line is picking show...My gut is that those people will take a pup regardless....

thanks for your replies! I know what you're saying about the 3rd pick thing...apparently the stud is in high demand- "Buzz LightYear"- and this person is coming to Maryland to see the puppy from another state. We'll see in 5 weeks or so! Thanks again

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I have been on the waiting list with our breeder since March. She has had two litters producing the same colours - blacks and chocolates born a day apart. I expressed a preference over the one litter but would take one from the other if I couldn't get my girl from my first choice.

There were 7 puppies born ~ (from my preference litter) ~ 3 black girls, 1 choc girl, 2 black boys and 1 choc boy.
    The owner of the female got pick of the litter ~ black girl and then breeders have been wanting a black female from "WILL" so because the other female was one one show/breeding quality she will go to the breeder..... hence I get what was left. I was upset at first cause I feel that I should get to PICK which puppy I want .... but do understand that the breeding/show dogs have to be placed in those homes first. : So in this litter there were 2 of show quality according to the breeder..... my opinion is...... my girl is just as precious..... ;D

I understand how the process works now and next year when we are in line for a choc girl ~ I won't be so paticular that it has to be from a certain litter and then maybe I will have more options in picking.....??

•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

labby is offline Senior Member

Who is Buzz Lightyear? (besides the toy in Toy Story)

Laura

WigWag Guest

Of course a breeder should pick their puppy (puppies) first since they did the breeding and own the entire litter until the pups are sold. They are their puppies first.

I also don't allow people to pick their own puppy. I know the puppies best and it's too difficult for a family to assess a pup's temperament in an hour since that might not acurately reflect how they behave the other 23 hours of the day. If someone wants a specific look ie they are really crazy about a puppy with a really pretty head then I would want them to express that and I can go from there.

Oh and I assume "Buzz Lightyear" is CH Aquarius Centercourt Delight - his name is simply Buzz.

labby is offline Senior Member

Thanks Sharon. That's the only "Buzz" I of.

The last time I allowed someone to pick their puppy it took them 3 hours and came down to whatever puppy tilted their head at them. I pick puppies for everyone now.

Laura

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

With us being 6 hours away from our breeder ~ we are relying on her to pick a good match for us based on the questionaire we filled on in the beginning.
    Being new to the process it has been a learning experience for us ~ but things are clearer now.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast