Showing UKC
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Showing UKC

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultShowing UKC

I am curious if any of you show your dogs in both UKC and AKC? I was talking to a fellow lab owner at my Rally match yesterday and both her boys are UKC Champions already. I know she is showing in AKC too but hasn't gotten WD. So it seems that AKC might be harder to title a dog?

We have a show coming up locally in November, 3 days in a row. I am contemplating enter my boy and girl. Is the competions as fierce as it seems to be with AKC? I know you still need to have an awesome quality dog, but with AKC there are always SO many labs entered, and you need to win over a certain amount of competition to earn a major....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Showing UKC

Finishing a AKC champion can be very difficult, since you need so many dogs for a major. Yes finishing a dog in UKC is easier though you still must win against other dogs. Its going towards the Grand Championship that can be a bit harder since you are competing against other champions.

UKC shows tend to be a bit friendlier though more and more AKC people are showing up and that is changing a bit. If you have the chance to show UKC, do so.

Laura

This might be a silly question, but are the ring rules and "showing" the same?

I am really considering trying this show...I can't beat 10 minutes from my house.

Thanks for the input, Labby!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CYNLABS
    I am curious if any of you show your dogs in both UKC and AKC?* I was talking to a fellow lab owner at my Rally match yesterday and both her boys are UKC Champions already.* I know she is showing in AKC too but hasn't gotten WD.* So it seems that AKC might be harder to title a dog?

We have a show coming up locally in November, 3 days in a row.* I am contemplating enter my boy and girl.* Is the competions as fierce as it seems to be with AKC?* I know you still need to have an awesome quality dog, but with AKC there are always SO many labs entered, and you need to win over a certain amount of competition to earn a major....
    It shouldn't be *easy* to put a CH on a dog, or else it would kind of lesson the title. Depending on where you live and compete in, yes it does take a lot of dogs to make up a major, but that number reflects the number of dogs entered in shows in that area from the year before.

It seems that UKC is much easier to put a title on a dog...

It didn't mean "easy" as they'll pass a title out to any old dog, but the competition in AKC shows are VERY FIERCE in some areas due to the point schedule, and even with a good dog, there is always one better which ekes you out of the win. Plus there is the requirement of 3 majors.

Did I understand UKC correctly, and you just have to amass 100 points for a regular CH?

labby is offline Senior Member

You need 100 points but 2 competition wins. That means you have to beat other dogs twice.

Basically the rules are the same EXCEPT there are times where the judges in UKC do not allow bait. That means no food or no toys in the ring/pocket. It should be posted on the board outside the ring if the judge allows bait or not.

Laura

It didn't mean "easy" as they'll pass a title out to any old dog, but the competition in AKC shows are VERY FIERCE in some areas due to the point schedule, and even with a good dog, there is always one better which ekes you out of the win.* Plus there is the requirement of 3 majors.

Did I understand UKC correctly, and you just have to amass 100 points for a regular CH?
    Very fierce? You mean competitive? Sure...it should be! You don't *always* get beat. There is not a requirement of 3 majors, it is two majors under two different judges. If every dog can get its CH, it makes the title a tad less special IMO.

I confused the majors with the wins you have to get for obedience/rally, which is 3 wins. So sorry.

I confused the majors with the wins you have to get for obedience/rally, which is 3 wins.* So sorry.
    You nearly gave me a heart attack....if they needed three to finish

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

While a UKC Championship is fairly easy to obtain, the competition is getting stronger here in Michigan making the title of Grand Champion even harder.
    Folks who don't understand UKC seem to always want to deflate ones Championship as if it were nothing that special. But UKC and AKC are quite different and there are also not as many dogs of certain breeds showing in some geographical areas.
    I just started showing both UKC and AKC at the same time 3 years ago and already the numbers have increased. We held a UKC Lab specialty this year and 20+ dogs I believe showed up. Heck your lucky to get that at AKC around here at an all breed show!

In some cases a AKC Championship could be considered easy if you have the $$, the right handler who knows who to show to. I've seen dogs that really ain't all that continuously win and finish FAST in AKC and it is not always because the dog is an outstanding representative of the breed. Mind you this usually happens at All-Bred shows. For the most part I think dogs that win after win at Specialty obviously have something going on right, even if that particular dog is not my cup of tea.

If folks think getting an UKC championship is too easy (and it is not always that way), then show up, enter quality dogs and make it harder to get one.
    I will admit you can get a Ch pretty easy if you want but it makes up for it when going for a Grand Champ.

The people at UKC shows are phenomenal! No pro handlers, just regular folk showing their dogs. The best times I have had are at UKC *edited* shows. I've met so many SUPER people in ALL breeds and every time you meet it is like a family get-together. We have pot-lucks with the club, go out to dinner with other exhibitors.....

I think so much of AKC and those who show it strictly has taken the fun out of these dog events. It is all about win, win, win. I highly recommend UKC! Not that I have any plans of quiting AKC. I will do it from time to time, when the mood hits. But honestly it is not all that important to me. You win some, you don't. Big deal. At least in UKC I don't feel the bitter cold stares*
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast