Look at that Ear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look at that Ear

Mocha Guest

DefaultLook at that Ear

I was told that Maggie was a pure bred Chocolate Lab. (If there is such a thing).* *I have not received the papers yet.** After looking at all of the pictures posted I have not yet seen another lab with such a short ear as Maggie. Her left ear does not hang nicely - ever.* Not even when she is sleeping.* It just seems short.* I wouldn't mind showing her because she has beautiful form.* Actually, she isn't even "boxy" like most of the other labs that I've seen.* She is trim and very sleek with wavy fur on her hind end and beautiful yellow eyes.* I will post pictures of her ASAP (my recent ones were all too big to post today - I'm new at this).* Is her short ear a problem for showing?

I absolutely love this website.* I have gained so much information so far and will continue to read.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Look at that Ear

Well from the sig. pic it appears that the Maggie is of Feild type rather then show type , this would also explain why she is more slender and sleek although I could be wrong and Things would be more clear when you post the pictures . AND YES THERE IS SUCH THING AS A PURE BRED CHOCLATE LABRADOR . Who was her breeder ? Have you called the breeder and asked him/her wether the dog is purebred or not ? Who were the sire and the dam and wether they were of show or field type , wether they had OFA clearences in addition to some other clearences . Did they promise registration and if so did you sign a contract with them ?? I hope you havent been had by yet another puppy mill that claims that their labradors are related to dolphins

Mocha Guest

I got Maggie from people who could not keep her due to their allergies. They did promise papers and no I did not sign contract because I am such a trusting person. Should I have signed papers even though she was 2nd hand and not from a breeder? I at least got their phone number and will contact them and ask these questions and for the papers again. I think I will send them a pre-paid envelope to send the papers back to me! I am glad to know that there is a breed such as chocolate lab. I did purchase her for my husband for hunting purposes, but she is so beautiful I would love to show her, but I am just learning about all of this that "I" would probably fail. Again, I will still post more pictures of her to get a better view.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The more correct thing to say is that a purebred Lab that is chocolate. Also, yellow eyes are not a desirable trait in chocolates.

I think that the most important thing for you to do is stop bothering about success and failure and enjoy Maggie and bond into a freindship that will last years !! As long as you love your dog and the dog loves you back you'll do fine , Go hunting , teach her to retreive and once you do that the joy alone will feel like a million bucks !! Nothing like a dog and man working hand in hand !!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Even if she isn't the "type" for showing conformation, that doesn't mean that she can't show in basically every other type of performance event from obedience/rally to tracking to field trials. It is important to get her papers if possible (and make sure that the previous owners sign the papers over to you as her new owner, otherwise those papers won't do any good), but if not, you could always apply for an AKC ILP # so that she can compete even without papers.

A chocolate lab isn't a breed all its own....the breed is labrador retriever. Chocolate or yellow or black are all just colors of labs.

Looking forward to seeing more photos!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

WigWag Guest

I was told that Maggie was a pure bred Chocolate Lab. (If there is such a thing). I have not received the papers yet. After looking at all of the pictures posted I have not yet seen another lab with such a short ear as Maggie. Her left ear does not hang nicely - ever. Not even when she is sleeping. It just seems short.
    As others have mentioned the breed is the Labrador retriever and they come in three colors - black, yellow, and chocolate. All three colors can be born in the same litter to the same parents depending on the color genes they carry. A purebred dog is one whose parents are registered purebreds. Of course there are purebred Labradors that are chocolate! Your girls certainly looks like a chocolate Labrador to me.

Her ears are a little short and that one does stick out a little but that doesn't make her less of a Labrador. Dogs are bred for various purposes depending on their ancestry and members of the same breed can look relatively different.

I wouldn't mind showing her because she has beautiful form. Actually, she isn't even "boxy" like most of the other labs that I've seen. She is trim and very sleek with wavy fur on her hind end and beautiful yellow eyes. I will post pictures of her ASAP (my recent ones were all too big to post today - I'm new at this). Is her short ear a problem for showing?
    She can't be shown in conformation since she is not "show type". Show dogs are bred from show dogs for many generations. Just because a dog is purebred does not make him/her a show dog. People breed dogs for many reasons as I pointed out earlier and some breed Labradors for the show ring while others breed them to be field trial competitors and still others breed just to make money and those can look very different and can have undesirable characteristics. They are still purebred but they are poor quality - excuse the term because it doesn't make them any less beautiful to their owner or less of a good companion. They are just not bred to be show or trial worthy.

Why is "boxy" not a good quality? Show type dogs are heavier and stockier than field type. This doesn't make one better than the other - they are just different and again bred for different reasons.

The short answer is yes the ear is a problem for the conformation show ring. Her ears and head are not show type. This doesn't mean she can't be shown in obedience, agility, or hunt tests - in other words in performance arenas.

Mocha Guest

After just working with Maggie for the past few days she has shown great possibilities for field tests.* I will find shows in my area and go to them to see how I am supposed to train her.* Right now we are training her to fetch things out of brush and bushes.* We throw a training dummy in the brush and watch her locate it with her nose.* Once she spots it she leaps off of all fours and bounces to it.* It is spectacular to watch.* I can definetely see why you say there is a difference in field dogs from show dogs. I just love watching her and my husband work together.* *I have pictures that I tried to post yesterday on the test page that would not work.* I will try again today.* Don't give up on me* :P

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha
    After just working with Maggie for the past few days she has shown great possibilities for field tests.*

I just love watching her and my husband work together.* *I have pictures that I tried to post yesterday on the test page that would not work.* I will try again today.* Don't give up on me* :P
    She certainly sounds like a smarty-pants, too! She'll do great!!! Also, definitely don't give up on possibly doing obedience or agility, etc. with her if she is that smart and athletic!

Can't wait to see those photos! She's a cutie!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I was also going to suggest doing obedience and other dog sports. If you do have a keen interest in hunting, until you find a group to train with, I would definately concentrate on obedience. Alot of the things they learn can be used later on in hunting like heeling, staying, sitting, really listening to you! We did that with Maddy. While I primarly train her for obedience and we have a CD and are on our way to a RN, we got her WC about a year ago. I just don't have as much time as I would like to focus full attention on hunting training, but would love to put a JH on her at some time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast