Interesting comparison between hand-stacked and free-stacked photos...

Thread: Interesting comparison between hand-stacked and free-stacked photos...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultInteresting comparison between hand-stacked and free-stacked photos...

I had someone to hold Monty yesterday (Sunday) while I used her Canon Digital Rebel XT camera to get a couple of stacked photos of him...and it turned out to be a very interesting comparison between what they look like free-stacked/free-baited vs. hand-stacked.* In fact, even if you look at his body condition, he looks much chunkier when hand-stacked, doesn't he?* Or maybe it's just me...*

For what it's worth, he turns 10 months on August 23rd...these photos were taken on the 20th, so 3 days prior to his "10 month birthday."*
    I know his tail looks all funky at the base- the "fluff" of hair there from holding his tail level when gaiting (which is what I was working on yesterday) creates the appearance of a "break" in his topline before his tail.* Any suggestions for getting rid of that for our upcoming specialty shows?* It isn't a big deal when he's holding his tail correctly, since he has a nice tailset, but when he drops it down, it makes it look all crimped.*

Hand-stacked:

Free-stacked (I know his head is looking up too far, but it is still interesting! ):

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JP

DefaultRe: Interesting comparison between hand-stacked and free-stacked photos...

Monty's looking good!! I have a real problem assessing heads when dogs are hand stacked - the strung-up throat does something to the jowl area that makes any dog look bullish seen through my eyes. They also seldom look happy with tails dripping down. Don't get me wrong - this has nothing to do with Monty himself, just the stacking procedure. Also, the weight seems more naturally distributed in his front area without "help" from his handler.

Maybe the reason he looks chunkier in the first photo can be explained by his hind stance. His weight is going down through well placed parallel hind legs (although his pelvis denotes a very slight crouch). In the second photo, his stance is balanced by a hyper-extended left leg counteracting a sickle hocked right leg... but the left leg is the one closest to us, so his all-over balance is visually one of a longer rectangle. I personally prefer the "feeling" of the second photo - a happy, typey youngster with a lovely topline and good muscle tone.

lab addict is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Interesting comparison between hand-stacked and free-stacked photos...

I think he looks a million times better and much happier in the freestanding photo. I hate seeing labs strung up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I like the free stacked photo better, even though his rear legs are not positioned correctly. You can still see how much bend and second thigh he has. He definately looks more animated in a free stack, as do most dogs. In the hand stacked photo you have his rear legs too much under him and it gives him a 'bunched' look.Nice boy!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaLabLover
    the "fluff" of hair there from holding his tail level when gaiting (which is what I was working on yesterday) creates the appearance of a "break" in his topline before his tail.* Any suggestions for getting rid of that for our upcoming specialty shows?*
    Try back-combing it with your fingers. Monty looks great! I can't believe he's ten months already!!

WigWag Guest

Monty is lovely. You definitely should email that second photo to not only his breeder but also Shadowbrook.

I agree that he looks better in the free stack photo - I personally do not think his head is too high - I like when they are looking up and smiling. You can also take the photo with them looking forward - more "serious" look but I like the mouth open and smile myself.

Photos can make a dog look more or less substantial - I agree with JP that in the first photo he is under himself and his head is lower so this makes him look more compact thus chunkier. Also notice how his topline is much better in the second photo as he is more stretched.

I think I would trim a little of that tail hair on the top to make that dip less obvious - just a teeny bit so it's not sticking up.

When I take photos of dogs I am honest and tell the handler how to stack the dog. Some dogs look better under themselves whereas others look better more stretched. A dog with a straight rear for example must be more square. Monty is a dog with plenty of rear angulation and a topline that looks better when he's more elongated so I would make sure he's stretched when showing him - not too much but get him like he is in the second photo but with rear legs more together.

Monty looks way better showing himself off . Nice boy you have coming along there! Interesting comparison!