What does the term "Pet Bred" mean?

Thread: What does the term "Pet Bred" mean?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultWhat does the term "Pet Bred" mean?

I see the term "pet bred" come up occasionally. What does it mean?

Sami came from a reputable breeder who is active in showing and has several titled dogs. From Sami's litter, the breeder kept two bitches as potential show dogs. Sami didn't make the cut ;D and went to a pet home. Is she considered "pet bred" because she's "just" a pet?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JP

DefaultRe: What does the term "Pet Bred" mean?

Not sure that I am qualified to answer your question, since I don't care for that type of terminology. I take it that a "pet bred" dog is one whose parents were just pets, as opposed to show dogs or performance oriented dogs. So, although a pet, Sami would not be considered "pet bred"... it's the breeding that counts in this context.

These labels really mean very little as we have all seen champion stock - top quality champion stock at that - that wouldn't make the cut in a fun match and the odd champ who came from nowhere and went from rags to riches.

Enjoy your girl!!

Well there are many terms flying around today which mean 10 different things if you ask 10 different people . The bottom line is that not every combination is going to produce a large no. of potential show candidates and that is a reason why shows are so competitive . There is a quite a lot of anatomical development and comformation quality that goes into a show potential puppy , he/she has to have a correct front , shoulders , back , legs , movement etc etc and it is simple common sense that not all the littermates are going to be representative of the utmost correct comformation just like humans vary in size , shape , hight and movement . There are some combinations that click and yeild 2 or 3 showworthy quality dogs . The rest of the dogs have the same genetics and blood as the others but are just not up to the mark but there is nothing wrong with them interms of health , temperament etc etc These dogs are as good as a representative of a LABRADOR retriever ( not comformation wise but otherwise) as the rest of their littermates . These dogs although good interms of quality dont represent a comformation ( the way an ideal lab should look) that is suitable for breeding to advance the breed as there are other dogs which are closer to the ideal comformation available to breed with and breed to . These dogs make very good pets and offer high quality as they are most likely well bred for health , temperament etc . Even a pet quality pup from a reputable breeder stands out in a crowd and it is easy to pick good breeding from bad even with pups that are not up to the mark comformation wise . Yet there are some breeders that breed ever increasingly for health and type of personality of a dog which should be active when outside and when inside should be rather passive so as to make the perfect indoor companion .

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Thank you both for your answers. After reading your replies, I think I "pet bred" and "pet quality" are really two different things. FWIW, I thought (but wasn't sure) that "pet bred" meant what JP described here:
    I take it that a "pet bred" dog is one whose parents were just pets, as opposed to show dogs or performance oriented dogs.
    And Pluto, I have found this to be very true, too:
    Even a pet quality pup from a reputable breeder stands out in a crowd and it is easy to pick good breeding from bad even with pups that are not up to the mark comformation wise.
    I hope I didn't make it sound like I was disappointed in Sami for being "just" a pet. Quite the opposite, really ~ since had she "made the cut" I wouldn't have her! Truly, I had and have no aspirations about showing dogs. But I am interested in learning about conformation, just for my own knowledge, and I always appreciate the info I get from here!

labby is offline Senior Member

Pet bred means someone took a couple of Labs and bred them together with no rhyme or reason besides they were both Labs. No pedigree research, no breeding type to type "Hey you have a Lab, let's breed it". This is why most pet bred dogs vary so much in size, shape and looks.

This is NOT the same as a pet quality dog from a show breeder.

Laura

JP

This is basically what I was trying to say... but Laura manages to sort things out better than my muddled mind!!

labby is offline Senior Member

No worries, JP. I had coffee this morning.

Laura

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Pet bred means someone took a couple of Labs and bred them together with no rhyme or reason besides they were both Labs.* No pedigree research, no breeding type to type* "Hey you have a Lab, let's breed it".* This is why most pet bred dogs vary so much in size, shape and looks.

This is NOT the same as a pet quality dog from a show breeder.
    That is exactly how I use the term when referring to my girl, Libby, who is pet-bred from a kennel who supposedly breeds show-type labs. There was no rhyme or reason behind the breeding of her parents, they just had a male and a female yellow and basically bred them together (without trying to compliment one side or the other to end up with puppies who are "better than their parents" like reputable breeders try to do).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Maddy was pet bred. The breeder had a dog that came from Baracuda Blue, so she has the infamous high drive, but I think they just threw whatever bitch was in season with one of their 2 choco studs.

WigWag Guest

Yes I agree with the others.* I use the term "pet bred" all the time.* It describes 90% of the Labradors out there - maybe more.* Pet bred to me is Bud bred to Sissy because Bud is black and shiny and Sissy is so pretty and the kids wanted a puppy just like Sissy.* The pedigree has no known kennel names and dogs without any titles - maybe a titled dog 4 or 5 generations back.*

Pet quality is a dog from a superior litter.* Sometimes pups sold as pets don't turn out that way as adults - many breeders kick themselves when they see a pet as an adult for not keeping him/her.* Clint was sold to me as a pet so I always say "he's just a pet" and that means the world.* *