BITE

Thread: BITE

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultBITE

The story about Bait-Bite made me think to ask this...
    What are you all noticing as far as juding goes...are the judges checking bite on their own or are you seeing a trend towards the judge asking you to show the bite?

One of the handling teachers I went to said that he's seeing more judges asking for the bite to be presented...the only time I had to do it was when I had a one-armed judge! I am very awkward at showing it as Grace has a little extra lip, and I am just not coordinated enough to hold the lead, and use both hands to present bite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: BITE

Well, practice a bit at home, but not too much.

I prefer to show Ruby's bite myself, she doesn't care either way though.

I think it is all in the stealthy art, use two hands, one hand at the top-back of the skull and one hand to show bite, both sides, and if you do a good job, the lip fat won't show LOL

It really isnt that hard to do with a labrador (completely different thing with a GSD or rott. ) - Place your left hand over the muzzle in such a way that all your fingures are on one side of the muzzle and just the thumb is on the other side . Hold the skin under the lower jaw with the right hand and gently pull the upper and lower lip back ( for my dogs because i train them on bite showing i give a command like open or teeth ) . this will show the front teeth in a correct way however be carefull that you dont block the nostrils and the veiw of the dog as he is most likely to get anxious if he doesnt know whats going on . Use similar techniques while showing both side veiws to the judge and make sure that your fingures arent covering the veiw so that the judge can see the full dentition presented . If the lead is bothring you drop it on the ground and put a foot over it .

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

In UKC you always show your dog's bite, so it's something I learned right away...thank you Laura I've only shown in a handful of AKC shows, all being specialties, and half of the judges asked me to show the bite myself.

Most judges here in Canada ask for you to show your dogs bite. I am always prepared for those US judges who have dove in the past at my dogs mouths. I really prefer showing my own dogs mouth. Sometimes it works having a stranger move in quick and check the bite..but sometimes...with the wrong dog...could be a really nasty situation.

Here many of the judges check the bite themselves (there are still a few that allow the handler to show the bite). I think it's unsanitary and an excellent way to spread disease. If the judges insist on checking the bite themselves, they should sanitize their hands between dogs but I doubt that will ever happen.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Gosh, only 1 AKC judge I've shown under asked me to show the bite myself. The others have all looked themselves- one in particular actually crammed her whole hand into my dog's mouth (in a puppy class) and felt even behind the upper and lower premolars/molars. Not a pleasant experience, but he is still okay with other people looking in his mouth, thank goodness! I agree- I wish more people would allow you to show your own dog's bite- it would certainly be more sanitary. One of my mentors taught me a way to do it as described above by grabbing their loose skin/jowls with the right hand, but with the pinky of that hand also looped around the collar and the leash dropped to the ground. That way, you could place your left hand over the bridge of their muzzle to pull up the lips on the sides, as well as using your right hand to pull down lips on the mandible to show lower teeth, all while maintaining proper "control" of the dog's collar should s/he decide to go backward. It looks great when done by an "expert." I, on the other hand, probably don't do it justice, having only been asked to do it twice!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Well, I have a few shows coming up including a specialty, so I'll see what they do.

I know HOW to do it, but when trying to maneuver the lead as well, I don't think I do a good enough job.