So how do you get into Showing if most breeders demand limited registration??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how do you get into Showing if most breeders demand limited registration??

DefaultSo how do you get into Showing if most breeders demand limited registration??

I have always wanted to get into show and then when I had an "accomplished" dog get into breeding. I absolutely LOVE labs, always have. And it is something I have thought about for a very long time. I figured that if I took a dog through all the Show stuff and spent that much time with it that I would know if I wanted to get into breeding. I want to be smart about it. There are so many bad breeders out there.

But how do I get a dog that I can show? Most of the breeders I talk to, or at least it seems to me that they don't want you to, that they are selling for pets only and showing their own dogs...or do you just pay more money for a dog that you can show?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So how do you get into Showing if most breeders demand limited registration?

Well, I guess I'm in somewhat the same boat. I would like to get a show prospect puppy as my next dog and then go from there. I think you need to become known to breeders before they will consider selling a show prospect dog to you. You have to show passion and commitment. I think if you've done some dog sports with your pet Lab, it will show that you're interested in dog sports. Also, if you go to dog shows/Lab specialties, you can meet breeders and start putting yourself out there and making yourself known. What about the breeder(s) that you bought your pet Labs from? Can they provide a reference to you?

I don't think it's as simple as paying more money for a puppy. You need to prove yourself as a responsible person who will become a responsible breeder. I hope you'll get better advice from others; I'm just learning myself.

DefaultRe: So how do you get into Showing if most breeders demand limited registration??

Well my question is sort of similar with relation to Showing. We have a kennel in india and would like to pick some really top dogs so that we can advance the standard in our neck of the woods. Mostly UK breeders are more accomodating in giving good dogs then US breeders if you ask me personally . However if you really want to go for a top show dog maybe ask the breeder that sihce it is your first dog maybe you can co-own it with someone she knows.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: So how do you get into Showing if most breeders demand limited registration??

I think you need to show the breeder that you are serious about showing. Start attending specialties, join a Lab club and get involved. Put an obedience/field/agility title on a dog you own now. Be willing to co-own a dog with a breeder and be open to being mentored. It is not that difficult. You just have to get "out there".

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Nwlabs is right on the money. A good breeder will not sell a show quality puppy outright to someone they know nothing about. Co-owning is often a good option for getting that first good dog, although you need to be careful who you get involved with.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

My best advice, find a local lab club or kennel club...or the closest one you can find and JOIN.* Then literally slave yourself for all their activities.* VOLUNTEER.* Help with the dog shows, go to the meetings, get to know the breeders, the exhibitors and ask questions and be friendly.* And when it comes time that you want to get that show puppy, maybe one of the members will help you, sell you a pup or give you a reference.

I JUST went through this last year.* I got my first lab in 2001 and got interested in the sport.* I immediately joined our local lab club, the LRCSC.* I worked every event I could make it to...dog shows, matches, fun day, hunt tests.* After a year, got on the board.* In 2005 we were ready to get our show lab.* Since we were in CA and I didn't want to have a pup shipped, and we only wanted chocolates, I started calling every good chocolate breeder in CA introducing myself, meeting them at dog shows, evaluating who was having litters, whose dogs I liked.* I was down to a lady from my club who I knew really well as my 2nd pick but had pups first, and a great breeder as my 1st pick but the pups weren't on the ground yet.* This great breeder was kind of blowing me off until I got one of the ladies from the club to call on my behalf and give a reference and then suddenly I was eligible for a puppy.* I would have done whatever contract, co-ownership she wanted, so honestly I didn't get the details of what she would have made me do.* Turns out my second pick breeder had only 2 chocs in her litter, and only one female, but when the pups were evaluated, the choc girl was the only show prospect, so I could have her if I wanted.* This breeder because she knew me through my working the events sold me the pup with no strings attached.*

She is doing well, probably limited more by my lack of skills in the ring than her lack of looks.* We're having fun getting our firsts and seconds, maybe someday we'll get WB.* If she passes all health exams next year, we'll breed her.

Good luck...I know its a hard process and sometimes seems stupid that you have to do all the "tricks" to gain respect, but in the end it's worth it.* I got such a wonderful opportunity to get a great pup just because I worked my butt off for the club.* At times it was hard because while the ladies were nice, it was hard to break in...breeders really want to be sure you are genuine in your interest!

I was going to shows for about 5 years before I got my show potential puppy. I was also lucky that a breeder that didn't know me took a chance and let me co-own a boy. Through her I joined the local lab club and met some great breeders. You have to be commited, volunteer, go to specialties, etc. and people will learn to trust you and know that you are in the breed for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs
    I think you need to show the breeder that you are serious about showing.* Start attending specialties, join a Lab club and get involved.* Put an obedience/field/agility title on a dog you own now.* Be willing to co-own a dog with a breeder and be open to being mentored.* It is not that difficult.* You just have to get "out there".*
    Can I enter an altered dog, in obedience/field/agility competetions?

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So how do you get into Showing if most breeders demand limited registration?

Can I enter an altered dog, in obedience/field/agility competetions?
    Yes, you can enter an altered dog in anything but conformation.

Wow! I had no idea it was that difficult. Why is it that way?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast