Getting started!!

Thread: Getting started!!

DefaultGetting started!!

Hi,

Both my Brother And I really appreciate the critique most guys did on Mouji. Although my brother has been breeding Labs for only about 5-6 years Mouji has been widely appreciated as a very well bred dog throughout india . I do wish to one day join him and jointly breed this wonedrful breed.* The problem that exists in india is that there is absolutely no bloodlines to work with . Most good dogs are titled American or UK imports and their progeny take the other titles , however the breeder is at the mercy of the importers bringing in the bloodlines and when there is a squeeze on dogs the breeders feel the pinch . However there is a bright side the quality of dogs has really gone up in the last few years ( specially the last 5 years) and some of the bred in india dogs are actually going out and defeating dogs that have UK or US titles . It is in this regard that i pose my question to all the show breeders and handlers alike . I am flying with my brothers female to the US in about 10 months to breed her with BOBO and hope that the results come out to be good , however are good Adult labradors sold in the US ( titled and otherwise) ?? How does one go about looking for and buying a really top quality titled dog ? or is that they are simply not sold in the US ( unlike Europe where they do sell some really really good adult dogs ) . We are definately interested in aquiring a top dog ( male or female) however We as a matter of principle dont go through brokers ( I personally have been approached by US brokers regarding purchase of dogs) . How much can one expect to pay for a really good quality titled dog of moderate age ( 2-3 years) ?

REGARDS

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Getting started!!

Interesting question and I will be interested to see how those in the breed for years respond. From my limited experience, I see breeders befriend other breeders and SHARE their top dogs, letting them live elsewhere for awhile. I haven't heard of any outright sales though.

You may need to establish a relationship with someone who will do a co-ownership..........

I'm not a breeder but know quite a few. No reputable breeder I know is going to sell you a male or female outright that will be shipped overseas. It is difficult enough to buy a good show potential puppy or adult in the U.S. to stay in the U.S. Most breeders sell their show prospects to friends or friends of friends. They have spent years building their reputations and their bloodlines and I can see how it would be difficult for them to sell a dog to someone that they don't know. Never go through a broker - they are just middlemen for puppy mills and back yard breeders.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You could purchase an mature adult, yes sure. BUT you will find that most people will be leary of you and wanting to know more of your intentions(when buying an adult). I would say, for an adult, with clearances and pointed NOT finished, approx. $5000 US. More if major pointed, more if specialty win, more if proven.
    Who is BOBO?

BOBO is CH LOBUFF BOBWHITE AT CHUCKLEBROOK !!

5000$ for a dog that isnt even titled??? That is quite a bit although i think that if there are quite a few breeders willing to offer dogs there would be plenty of takers. I see quite a few dogs here in india that have been bought from belquest and other top breeders ( Sandylands , etc etc) and I always wonder how these people obtained such dogs ( they all keep it close to their hearts as a secret) . We do import GSD's from germany and do pay a huge price for them ( think 20000$ plus for a high SG rated or higher) . My brother has a couple of very good females ( we own mouji's mother aswell) and It is for the first time that i am going in to fly her to breed her to BOBO but it is going to cost me a lot ( about 800$ for her both ways in addition to about 1400$ for myself and stud fees and other charges in addition as we dont have frozen semen) ..We had to ship her to get her clearences as we dont have OFA testing in this country ( or atleast a standard that is acceptable in the US and UK) ..Even though with all that cost i doubt that my brother will sell a lot of the puppies out of the litter just because of the effort and the sire ( being such a capable dog) we are most likely only going to sell a few and keep the rest with us and other family ...Well I guess the way we can work is try getting to know a breeder and buy a super show quality pup from them ( HYSPIRES ALTHOUGH I KNOW I'M DREAMING) keep him and then have him campaign in america to get his champions ( indian titles dont mean jack trust me ) .anyways I still have some time to go before i get into this myself and we'll see how this goes for all I know i might end up in the US ( spent a good 8 years in the US as a kid) .