When (if ever) do they lose the tuck up?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When (if ever) do they lose the tuck up?

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultWhen (if ever) do they lose the tuck up?

Question about tuck ups -- do they lose these as they mature or are tuck ups genetic?*

For your reference -- she's 13 months, unaltered (we're waiting for 1st heat which hasn't happened yet), and is from slower-to-mature lines.* Will she ever lose this tuck up?* Does being long in body have anything to do w/ it?

Sorry if the picture isn't positioned right -- I just took it as my son was getting ready to toss a ball for her:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When (if ever) do they lose the tuck up?

She looks nice and I take it you aren't showing her, so not sure why you are concerned about the tuck up or are you just curious? I don't mind the tuck up since it is usually seen in leaner dogs, which is a good thing. 13 months is young though. From what I have seen, the dogs usually stop growing height wise between 7-12 months, but then fill out weight/musculature up to about 2 years. But like I said, she looks nice. Hudler was really thin as a young dog with a tuck up and now at 5 his body has changed a bit...

She looks good for her age. Depending on the blood lines the tuck up may or may not disappear but I wouldn't worry about it. Her body will change - fill out - as she grows older.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I haven't let Ruby lose hers yet, she is almost 2 (believe it???) and is kept leaner.

Based on her picture, give her time. I bet you by this time next year, she will have filled in and her tuck up(which isn't too bad at all actually), will level out. What a looker you have there, nice girlie.
    Cheers

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

I think she is absolutely beautiful!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Thanks for the info. And yes, Cynlabs, I was asking out of curiousity. I do understand that it's important to keep them thin -- she's 55 lbs -- but was trying to understand how you can be both thin and not have a tuck-up. I figured that it was genetic since I've seen pictures of dogs that are younger that have very little, if any, tuck up. Guess I'll have to see how she fills out over the next year or so.

Thanx again!

JP

With that depth of brisket, if she had a level underline, she would be a real little barrel for her age. She is a raw youngster in good muscular condition... and, coming from me, that's certainly not negative! Enjoy that baby.

I guess this means in the show ring the tuck up is bad? I think it looks good, the dog looks athletic and healthy. A novice's opinion.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    I guess this means in the show ring the tuck up is bad?* I think it looks good, the dog looks athletic and healthy.* A novice's opinion.
    MilesMom, This is from the AKC Labrador Standard:
    "The underline is almost straight, with little or no tuck-up in mature animals. "
    Reference: http://www.akc.org/breeds/labrador_retriever/index.cfm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast