Labrador Type !!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Labrador Type !!

DefaultLabrador Type !!

There are a lot of intelligent breeders and lab lovers on this forum so I decided to have a discussion regarding the type of labrador that breeder members breed for and the the type the owners like to own. Although there are strictly 2 types of labradors such as the show type or the field type the standard is flexible enough to accomodate many breeding philosophies and has giveway for breeders wanting to instill their own desired charecteristics into their labradors and still adhere to the standard there are types for examples such as English type (sandyland , mardas breeding philosophies ) and american types etc etcThings we can talk about are obvious comformational charecteristics such as head,proportion,bone,angulation,drive,size and most importantly the temperament !!!

IF I WAS A breeder i would like to instil the following charecteristics . --

* the look , temperament of a MARDAS dog coupled with the frame and structure of a american dog such as Dickendall's arnold aswell as a drive and temperament that is jouvial , playful and typical Lab..No guessing that my favourite Lab of all time is Lobuff's bare necceties as he combined these charecteristics beutifully.

here are some references pics to get started with the discussion and I hope that many members would like to share thoughts with me and others regarding this very topic.

Mardas Puppy look is typical of their breedings - and is quite popular throughout the world!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Labrador Type !!

I see you've read the Labrador Net page on type.* Do you know he has the Vinny daughter Aggie listed as both Mardas and Brittany type* ???
    Anyway, my ideal of an ideal lab is Guidelines Copyright.* I love clean lines, balance and athleticism and hate any coarseness.* Here is a pic of Loffe (which I hope Eva and Moa don't mind being posted here).

Also a big fan of Fabracken Comedy Star

Beautiful type.
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

I see you've read the Labrador Net page on type
    I dont quite understand what you mean? If you mean the Mardas page then yes I've read it many times over the months so what is the point???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

No, I mean the Joe Batts Arm page where he tries to organize different dogs into different types. I thought you might have been looking at that and I was just making conversation that Aggie was listed as two different types.
    My point is, if you are referring to that page, don't put too much stock in it as he is the only one who tries to categorize as such and doesn't do a very good job of it IMO. The Mardas dogs are very nice though...lovely dogs.
    Who is the puppy?
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

WigWag Guest

For me I look at head, coat, topline, and tail. I look for overall balance and a good amount of substance but not too much. I have a few pet peeves and one is a straight rear and lack of second thigh. I also don't like to see a bad topline and/or really low tailset as I think it throws off the total picture a lot. I also don't like a dog that is too short on leg - I like them to look athletic as well as typey.

A dog I really love CH Beechcroft's Study In Black:

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by WigWag

A dog I really love CH Beechcroft's Study In Black:
    I agree...love, love, love that boy! Such a beautiful dog, and I haven't met him in person, but I've heard he is an absolute doll in personality, too!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

BlackLabJax is offline Senior Member

Jax is a son of "Study in Black".* I met Study in person and he is just so so beautiful and has the sweetest disposition.* Jax at a year old iis already showing a lot of Study's traits...can't wait for Jax to fill out a little to look more like his Dad!

No, I mean the Joe Batts Arm page where he tries to organize different dogs into different types. I thought you might have been looking at that and I was just making conversation that Aggie was listed as two different types.
    My point is, if you are referring to that page, don't put too much stock in it as he is the only one who tries to categorize as such and doesn't do a very good job of it IMO. The Mardas dogs are very nice though...lovely dogs.
    Who is the puppy?
    No I dont know the Joe Batts website and have never visited it . What I am refering to is more in line with what a particular breeder is breeding for and what he has been breeding in the last years..Kennels such as mardas , sandylands in UK have been breeding their particular signature type (although anyone else can also breed this type but over the decades it has come to be accociated with their breeding philosophies) for years now and we have many other famous breeders in THE UK , USA such as ballyridges , shamrock acres , lobuffs , tabatha etc etc that have been breeding their own style ..I just wanted to discuss the various breeding philosophies that the breeders here might have and what they think some of the big wigs have..

The name of the puppy is Ebony Ribbons and Bows at Mardas
    Sired by Greenworth Vincent O`Brien at Mardas x Millicant Petal (a Berberis daughter)
    She won 1st place in a class of 33 Minor puppy bitches at Three Ridings Labrador Retriever Club Championship Show

Here is a link to the mardas kennel website and their beutiful dogs

http://www.mardaslabradors.com/index.html

I should be popular with my example(esp with Wigwag..LOL)-
    Ballyduff Lark
    Good bitch, even better producer...what more do you want? ;D
    Study is lovely, saw him here in Canada when Kathy Mines had him up and was impressed with his soundness and the fact that he looked typey BUT I could so see him in a big Sporting Dog group giving the fancy breeds a run for his money. My girls Study son is a lovely smooth moving dog with nice old fashion type....I won't mind using him someday myself down the road.....LOL
    I had bred into the Beechcroft lines years ago via the Tomarc dog.
    Cheers

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLabs
    I should be popular with my example(esp with Wigwag..LOL)-
    Ballyduff Lark
    Good bitch, even better producer...what more do you want?* ;D

Cheers
    Kim, do you have a picture of her? (I'm at work, so can't do a very thorough search right now, but am dying to see another example of someone's "ideal", LOL)

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast