Should I contact this breeder?

Thread: Should I contact this breeder?

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultShould I contact this breeder?

I'm not looking for a puppy any time soon, but I cannot stop researching. I found this breeder in Idaho that I am very impressed with her Labs. They have their conformation titles but are also great in obedience (among other things). I am hooked on obedience and will compete with my next dog. But I am toying with an idea of also doing conformation with my next dog.

This guy (LINKY) is the breeder's stud. What do you think of him? Sharon, I know you'll like that Logan is in his pedigree, but that he does not have much coat (at least in the photo). He also has Arnold in his pedigree.

My trainer is taking her Lab to an obedience competition in Idaho in August. I'll ask her to look for this breeder and her dogs. Hopefully they will be there. But do you think it might be worth it for me to start communicating with this breeder just casually even now? I'm thinking about 1.5-2 years before getting another dog. TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: Should I contact this breeder?

I have seen his link and ads before and he looks like a very nice dog. His sire Rumble is not in the UK - he used to be in CA and he looks very nice. His mother's sire Iggy is a very highly titled dog - I think maybe the only CH/MH/UD Labrador in history. Yes he is sired by Logan who I just love. You can see a photo of his mother on that site and she looks to be a very moderate type of dog. I'll send you a PM as well.

Tatyana where are you? I thought you were in CA? It will be a lot easier to work with a breeder locally so you can see the dogs at shows and visit and really get to know them.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

If you are in CA, tell me North or South, and I can give you a LIST of breeders to get to know. I belong to the Lab Club of So. Cal and know most of the top breeders in that area....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I am actually in Utah (we were really close to moving to the Bay Area a while back though). I went to an all-breed (I guess that is what it's called) show locally, and they only had 11 Labradors total at the show (there were over 70 English Bulldogs for example, so it was not a small show). I was not impressed with any of them. Our trainer said that the bordering states have very nice Lab shows, and people from those states just don't travel to Utah.

I am pretty set on going to Potomac specialty next year. If you can suggest any good Labrador shows around Utah (bordering states, like California, especially Bay Area or Central Valley since I have family there; I guess L.A. is ok too since I just can get on I-15 the whole way), I might just drive there for a weekend.

WigWag Guest

Are you near Washington? I just did a quick search and found Blackwater is in Utah and she does a lot with Becky Jack of Nipntuck Labradors in Washington. I saw a bitch they co-bred a few years ago Nipntuck Blackwater Cheerleader who was gorgeous!

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Nipntuck is a great breeder.

If you feel like a trip in October (20-21), the Golden Gate Labrador Retriever Club is holding it's annual specialty in Pleasanton, CA. You will see the cream of the crop at this show.

http://www.gglrc.org/events/specialty/2006/

I am not surprised you didn't see much in Utah. Even here in CO, the Lab entries are low. 20-30 total at a bigger all breed show. And none of the CO people I know now, or none of the CA I knew from my old club travel to UT.

Next year you'll have the San Diego Specialty in Feb, the San Joachin Valley (Turlock, CA) in March, and the So. Cal Specialty in April....those are probably all driving distance and worth checking out if you are serious about checking out good breeders. Denver is having a specialty at the end of September, but that might be too far for you...

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    If you can suggest any good Labrador shows around Utah (bordering states, like California, especially Bay Area or Central Valley since I have family there; I guess L.A. is ok too since I just can get on I-15 the whole way), I might just drive there for a weekend.
    Oh boy, can I ever suggest a couple of great shows for viewing a ton of area labradors coming up in California! There are a few pretty big specialties in the upcoming months in both northern and southern California- check out this website: http://www.infinitylabradors.com/specialtycalendar.htm.

I am actually hopefully taking Monty up to the two upcoming specialties in northern California on Labor Day weekend and the bigger specialty (Golden Gate LRC) toward the end of October, just for fun. Our local lab club is also having its first specialty which should be pretty incredible (we've already gotten some outstanding feedback from several big breeders out here about it and have some really fun things planned)- November 11-12 down in the Antelope Valley (Palmdale), as well. Anyhow, the northern California shows are almost guaranteed to have the Hyspire dogs there (I think they have some really beautiful dogs), as well as a number of other pretty well-known breeders, and while they don't have juniors at the GGLRC (they will at SVLRC), they will be having obedience, etc.

I haven't really made any set plans for where to stay or whatnot, but you are more than welcome to stay with us when we're at the shows, if you aren't picky about sleeping arrangements (don't know about where we'll be staying or what kind of room).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Jen and Julie, thanks for great suggestions on the shows in California. I'll try to get to the Golden Gate specialty. I don't think Scotty will be ready for his Novice A then though. We'll see. I would want to spend most of the time watching conformation anyway. Julie, thanks for the offer to stay close to you. It might work. My MIL lives in Stockton, so that's an option. But I know that drive is aweful (did it several times last summer) on Friday evening.

Sharon, I've never heard of Blackwater before. I found the website though, and it has a P.O.Box in Salt Lake City as its address. So, hopefully, they are close to me. there is another local conformation show in September, maybe she'll be there.