Coat

Thread: Coat

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultCoat

Grace is our first lab that seems to have the traditional correct lab coat. So now that she blew out the undercoat, she's left with a really coarse topcoat. Is this what normally happens?

I've been brushing her out, and now how long do I wait before the nice coat comes back?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: Coat

traditional correct lab coat
    Although it shouldn't be a "traditional" and "correct" coat can be subjective. Some like a shorter straight coat and some prefer a thick wave down the back. The coat should be coarse and dense and not soft but there should be enough undercoat as well and not just a single top coat. Blacks and chocolates tend to have better coats than yellows - more harsh and more undercoat. Yellows can be soft and open more often. It's really hard to comment without seeing the dog.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I guess my question is more of, when your labs blow their coat, how long does it take for it to get back to normal? And what's best to do now? Do I brush her more to help it? That kind of thing.

My other two aren't shown in conformation plus just never shed like Grace did where I noticed a change...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It took Ruby 7 months, she got her coat for her heat, lasted an extra two months and now she is (capital) B A L D again.

Sheesh