Twizzle & wiskers?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twizzle & wiskers?

DefaultTwizzle & wiskers?

CYNLABS mentioned in another thread about this and I also wonder what the general feel is here.* I think that the dogs should be oh natural so that would mean leave the wiskers and as far as twizzle, the breeder of our new pup says a good twizzle means a GREAT tail so don't touch it.* So Colt will not have his twizzle trimmed.*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Twizzle & wiskers?

I will neaten up the twizzle, especially if there is a cowlick there but I NEVER trim whiskers. NEVER EVER!! The dogs use whiskers to determine if there is enough room to stick their head in something and not get stuck.

Back in the stone age when I first started showing Labs everyone trimmed whiskers. I thought it was stupid then too. I decided I wasn't going to anymore and stopped doing it. Everyone told me I'd never win. Well we did win anyway. I actually had a couple of judges comment on the whiskers saying it was good to see a natural dog. Soon other people stopped trimming them. Now its rare that anyone trims the whiskers in Labs.

Labs are wash and wear dogs and don't need a lot of grooming before they go in the ring. Basically I make sure the dog is clean and throw a collar/lead on it and go in.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I thought cutting off the whiskers seemed a bit extreme.

With Grace, her coat isn't as wavy as I have seen on some labs, so her tail end doesn't really twirl up. I'll probably just let it go now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

I don't think Labradors should have anything triummed. If I had a dog with a long tail then I would trim it up to create a better picture and maybe if I had a dog that was going into a sporting group since I know that many all breed judges like a more "groomed" look.

Complete newbie here, but nothing on my labs is trimmed except their nails.

nothing trimmed here either. When Ruby was little, I trimmed her twizzle for her first all-breed show because her tail was still long.

The hair grew back and I haven't trimmed it since. And it is the proper length now!

JP

Personally, I don't need a twizzle to tell me whether a dog has a correct Lab coat and tail... and my esthetic sense prefers a sleek finish to an otter tail.

Absolutely NOT to whiskers, I mean, how would you like your fingers all cut off? Whiskers are important to a dogs function and esp. if you are doing any field work.
    As far as the twizzle goes, for shows, I leave au natural if it a good accent on the dog-ie. proper coat etc. However, if I look at the tail and using thinning shears to shape off the twizzle about three weeks prior to show will balance up the dog and make an side view difference, it gets done. I agree with JP, I don't need a twizzle to tell me about coat, a good tail, well wrapped and good length to guard hair should be apparent all over the dog, not just the tail. That yellow you show Labracorn looks like a really good proper coat...what new pup did you get?
    Cheers

Kim a spur of the moment, we picked him up at the LOC. He his a Suede & Evenstar's Cottoncandy Rainbow pup.

No to whiskers, yes to twizzle for AB shows, not for specialties. The one thing I consistently do is feet. I can't stand a fuzzy foot... And nails, of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast