My little Monty-man at 8.5 months tonight...I even got a little tail in this!

Thread: My little Monty-man at 8.5 months tonight...I even got a little tail in this!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy little Monty-man at 8.5 months tonight...I even got a little tail in this!

I know I don't have his front legs square underneath him, but you get the idea :

And, of course, gearing up for the ball....you can thank my husband for the legs, LOL:

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lab addict is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My little Monty-man at 8.5 months tonight...I even got a little tail in this!

I think he looks fantastic!

JP

DefaultRe: My little Monty-man at 8.5 months tonight...I even got a little tail in this!

Julie - he is maturing nicely! Still has that nice sweep of neck and solid topline, with well defined hocks. Overall, a super package!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

He looks great! Nice reach of neck and balanced
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Thanks, everyone! I think he is a pretty cool guy (well, he does too), but I'm still relatively uneducated and a bit biased, of course.

The one thing I find so interesting is that he is one of those dogs (that people seem to complain about) that look almost like a little adult- well, not even that little anymore. It has been that way since he was around 6 months... he has held together quite nicely, but I always find it interesting to hear people talking about how they like puppies to look like puppies, and even when he won his first point (his 6 month b-day), the gal who won WB was to be overheard ringside saying in a pretty snotty voice, "Well, of course he gave it to the one that looks all grown-up." (for what it's worth, this gal told me before-hand that she had been showing/breeding for almost 20 years and had still never gotten a point...she did that day) No offense, but hey- it is all in the judge's opinion on any particular day who their "BOW" is, and I hope nobody here says things like that aloud when there are absolute novices (or winning dog owners) in their midst. It kindof hurts one's feelings.

However, when I asked a very well-respected breeder-judge in this area who has been breeding labs since the 1960's, she said that the first thing she thought when she saw him was, "Puppy. Because that's what he is!" Her only "negative" was just in his face being kindof plain at this stage, which she thinks will really come back nicely as an adult. She also said that she would definitely show him.

Strange how some people think "adult" and some think "puppy" I think!

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

JP

Julie - since I'm one of the cuprits who has mentioned that I like pups to look their age, maybe I owe you an explanation.

From the time you first posted photos of Monty, it was clear he was going to be one of the dogs you could project into the near future and imagine the adult version. My Toby was like that - except for his head - and he can still hold his own with the youngsters in spite of his veteran status. Some dogs just grow harmoniously and never go wrong, others go through the "uglies" and are all over the place before getting their act together. This has absolutely nothing to do with whether they look like puppies or not!!!!!

What some of us refer to negatively are the over heavy, ponderous youngsters with overdone skulls and heavily sculpted stops. They can bluff an insecure judge into putting them above a more structurally correct, but immature youngster... often on the pretext that they are "judging on the day". It takes a very knowledgeable judge to see through the "ganglies". Also, even if well built, these very overdone youngsters often end up a trifle bullish when they are 3-4 years old. The photos of Monty don't show any signs of this and the fact that the judge found his head plain wouldn't worry me at this stage - a strong head at eight months could keep developing for another two years!

Enjoy that boy!

Quote Originally Posted by JP
    Julie - since I'm one of the cuprits who has mentioned that I like pups to look their age, maybe I owe you an explanation.
    Nah, no explanation needed. But thank you for that.

I was just contemplating in that post that what seems to be "adult" like to one person (like the lady at that show) is completely opposite of what another may think (ie- the "Puppy" comment from the breeder-judge, who is a local lab club member along with me- I am actually going over to her place tonight for a puppy evaluation...she is a wealth of knowledge and I like to take any opportunity I can to learn about all of this).

And, it was a good lesson to not be too loud or critical from ringside, as you never know who may be within earshot (even if a complete "newbie" like myself).

I also find it interesting that what one person finds to be "overdone" is opposite of what another does. For instance, Monty's breeder prides herself on going for a "moderate" labrador who can do more than just conformation. When I look at Monty in the ring alongside the other puppies that are there, he still seems like there is an awful lot more "dog" there...does that mean he's overdone? He certainly doesn't look so to me, but is definitely a lot more dog than many who are out there (especially at all-breed shows where I've been more recently). He is quite a bit less than a lot of dogs at specialties.

I have nothing whatsoever to do with Monty's breeding, since I purchased him (though I adore his breeder- she has been such a blessing, even from across the country- a wealth of knowledge and a good "mentor" who I have never even met!)... so while he's my guy, and I love him to bits (even when he's trying to pull my elastic-waistband-skirt off in the middle of a class), I don't take any of this stuff personally. It will certainly be interesting to see what he looks like at 2 or 3 (supposedly when his sire finally came together). LOL

WigWag Guest

I think he looks terrific - nice rear angles and good front, excellent reach of neck and overall balance. He doesn't look overdone to me although his sire is a good amount of dog and I would not consider him moderate. He's not "big" but has a lot of substance. Does that make sense?

I think it makes sense (thank you for the critique, by the way!)- you are saying that he is more than "moderate," but not so much to be "overdone?"

Have you gotten to see his sire in person? I would really like to (heck, I would like to see his mom, too)- I think I may get a chance based on an e-mail from them about some specialty shows coming up this fall/winter in the northern part of California.

He is gorgeous! Exactly what I always picture as a young lab in my head! Even from the side, his expression of love and intense interest is evident!