What do you think of this head? UPDATE with photos...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of this head? UPDATE with photos...

JP

DefaultWhat do you think of this head? UPDATE with photos...

Jim is our Jojo’s litter brother. Just received this photo of him at 6 months. Thought it would be interesting to see your opinion of his head. It’s no secret that this is my type of puppy head, just what I hope for ; clean cut with no sign of cheeks, well worked skull and brows with no coarseness but plenty room for maturity. But I get the impression that many of you breed for a more blocky head, with a heavier stop – do you look for that already at this age ? Do you also find that male puppies with well developed heads tend to go over the top as adults? I’d really be interested in your take on this.

As a point of comparison, here is Jojo’s head with a similar attitude:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: What do you think of this head?

I like it!

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I think he has a beautiful head! I'd be thrilled if he were mine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

I love that style of head. I for one think that many of the American dogs are leaning toward overdone, both in body and head. By overdone, I don't mean size so much as coarseness...if a dog doesn't have clean lines, I have trouble getting past that. I'm starting to notice it in many European dogs now and it is a shame.
    Admittedly, although parallel planes are desirable, I don't like the look myself...I find it too unrefined for some reason :P
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

WigWag Guest

I think it is very pleasing - both have pretty heads in my opinion.

I do like a "bigger" head especially on a male, but I go for a longer muzzle with a pronounced convex stop (bump in the nose) and well placed ears. I find that the heads I find really "coarse" looking have high set ears and/or small ears and short stumpy muzzles. I also think you can be too broad in the backskull and that makes the head out of proportion and "Rottie like" to me since that breed has a big round skull and small ears paired with a relatively short muzzle.

Most of all I look for that soft expression and I don't like to see any other breed. All of your dogs shout Labrador.

JP

Actually, head studies of Jojo show quite a defined stop and parallel planes to skull and muzzle, which are now approximately the same length. None of this worries me in a bitch as, in our lines, they just seem to grow in proportion to the girl without becoming overdone.

However, any male dogs we have produced with "finished" puppy heads have ended up with pretty grotesque skulls. Don't get me wrong, I like a dog to look like a dog... and that means more head than a bitch, especially well padded lips in a nice chunky muzzle with good width under the eyes. What I particularly hate is a domed head in profile finishing with a bulbous, rounded brow that speaks "rottie". Does anybody else find that their dogs tend to develop more than their bitches, and for a longer period?

Definately smoochable lips!

Lovely soft expression and lots of room to grow there. I think you will get more of the same as time goes by. I would rather see this style of head as opposed to a more mature look at this age...I mean, you are only going to get more as time passes. Too much too young will lead to coarseness I think. I like teenagers being teenagers with the promise of maturity to bloom later.
    cheers

lab addict is offline Senior Member

I love his head and he has such a gorgeous, kind expression! Have you got and profile shots of him and Jojo?

JP

Kirsten - We are invited to his home for lunch on Saturday... so will take my Nikon. Keep an eye out for an update!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast