Questions about Sam's tail
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Sam's tail

DefaultQuestions about Sam's tail

I took a few pictures of Sam about a month ago. He is 11 months in the pictures. The question I have is this. I have noticed a small dimple or divet before his tail. Not sure you will be able to notice in the picture. He is also half wet in the pictures from playing in the sprinkler. His fur doesn't stick up so much!Just for my knowledge:
    What causes this?
    Any physical concerns?
    Will it develop or fill in more?
    Here are a few pictures, hopefully you will know what I am talking about! I noticed that it doesn't let his tail set look right, almost makes his tail curve at the base instead of going straight. Thanks!

Debbie and Sambuca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Questions about Sam's tail

Well I don't know anything on what you're asking but I just wanted to say I think he is gorgeous
    Becca & Phoebe

Are you going to show him?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

It is probably the area where his tail comes off of his topline when his tail is up?
    Do you have any photos where his tail is up to show off his tailset?

He's a cutie.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Low tail set? (i.e. the tail does not come stright of his back, but the base of it comes off his back a bit lower.) I think this causes the 'divot' that you are speaking of.

I will have to take a picture of his tail up. I am not showing him. We are involved in obedience and working towards our CGC. I always noticed he doesn't have that "iron board' straigtness to his tail when it's out. I am just trying to learn more about breed standard. The funny thing was, the breeder loved his tail set when he was a pup. Here he develops more front line and the tail set is off. Amazing how they change and develop. I guess I just wondered if it would change or is that pretty much set?
    Debbie

WigWag Guest

Gosh he looks like Tatyana's Scotty!

Well it's not actually a "divot" before his tail but rather that he has a bump in his rump. Seriously the area between the back and the tail is actually called the "croup" and it should be flat to keep a straight topline. Your guy has a rounded croup and a low tail set. Some people call it "roachy" but that is not a correct term - a true "roach back" is where the back is arched up but it has come to mean a roached croup on dogs.

He is a cute boy that I'm sure will mature well in other areas and sometimes when they fill out that bump is not so noticeable but he will keep it though. He has a really nice front and a pretty head and a good coat.

What's his pedigree?

My Monet has the same problem. Below are some pictures from May & June of this year.

Sharon,
    I like the term "bump in the rump"! That is it! Thanks for the definition. Some people in class asked about it. The other Lab in class has a great tail set, very straight. Now I know. Thanks!
    It is crazy how much he looks like Scotty!! They could be brothers. My kids think it's Sam when they see Scotty's picture. I have included his brother's pedigree (Hawk) who the breeder owns.
    http://shalanelabs.com/hawkped.html

Thanks again everyone for the information. So much to learn!
    Debbie and Sambuca

I would call both those dogs faults sloping croup. The actual tailset itself looks OK but yes, when the dog is relaxed, it doesn't give you the proper outline. Happy wagging tales will help disguise this if you are showing the dog. I find handstacking only makes it look worse
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast