Opinions...10 months

Thread: Opinions...10 months

DefaultOpinions...10 months

Just wanted to get opinions on Kona's weight.* I am wondering if he is to skinny.* He is 10 months old and 65 lbs.* He is not show stock, but I would also like opinions from a conformation perspective.* I know he is a little high in the rear, but hoping he will grow out of that.* All opinions... the good, the bad, and the ugly... are appreciated!* Sorry for the lousy pics, but can't get him to stand still for the life of me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Opinions...10 months

What's his pedigree like? He has the looks of a hunting/field Lab. I think he looks handsome and not the least bit thin or overweight. Just my opinion though.

Ten month olds can look terribly out of proportion just because of their age (somethin akin to a lanky teenage boy). They can then look very different just a few months later, so what your boy looks like now doesn't mean that he'll look like that later!

I am no expert, and can only give my opinions (which, with a nickle will give you half a dime!)

It does look like though he has a lot of field lines behind him. He looks a bit long in the body, at least compared to most show dogs. He doesn't look skinny/underweight though. Does look like he has a powerful behind on him

Are you going to use him mostly for hunting?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    Are you going to use him mostly for hunting?
    He has great hunting instincts, I will be taking him out this fall.* However I am primarily using him for USAR as well as WSAR to which he has been doing exceptionally well at.* I am always amazed to watch him work.

The reason I asked about his weight is because both of his parents were thicker, more english style (dad was 90lbs of muscle), so I am suprised to see that he has't taken more of those traits.* It will be interesting to see him develop in the next few months.

WigWag Guest

The field/pet qualities are more dominant than show/bench style. If you breed a champion show dog to a field bitch the resulting puppies will be a tad thicker than the mom but not much. It's amazing how strong the more lean/lanky side usually is on a cross like that although there are excpetions - not often but they exist. A field bitch was bred to my show type male a few years back and I was shocked at a yellow male. He had a high ear set and was very tall and big (25" and over 100 lbs) but other than that he looked very "showy" and even had a thick wavy coat.

JP

The 2004 (I think?) Crufts winner, Ch. Carpenny Anchorman, was heavily FT bred. It was feared that he would be a "one off", but his daughter Annika is proof that he is breeding on. OK, his dam was a dream of a bitch and undoubtedly one of the best producers in recent years. Actually, I find surprisingly little difference in the two types in the nest. It is during adolescence that the FT side really takes over, then either mellows... or accentuates.