Showing Labs.

Thread: Showing Labs.

DefaultShowing Labs.

When we take a look at the standard we see that labs are required to be "* shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. " However What i dont see in that standard is big..Some people have huge Labs which are clearly bulky to a point where i dont see then as "IN WORKING CONDITION" is this actually benificial ?? Secondly when we talk about muscular - do we mean that the Lab has to be super muscular like say a well conditioned mastiff,rotweiler or german shepard ?? I would think that a lab should not give the appearance of a tear away , clear cut power lifter but rather of* a well developed swimmer!! What are tour guys's take on this. We have some very knowledgable people on this site and I'd love to get their take on this.

Secondly- There are 2 basic categories for labs ie. those belonging to the working or field type and those belonging to the show type. However there are also many sub - informal categories which are clearly distiguishable which have evolved through breeding of certain types of dogs. For example British breeders have certain qualities they want to instil in a Lab as compared to American breeders..A clear example here is The Mardas labs are as distinguishable as say a lobuff or tabatha bred in the states..Do seious show people give any weightage to these types of differences in say some English bred labs and some american bred labs..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Showing Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by pluto
    When we take a look at the standard we see that labs are required to be "* shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. " However What i dont see in that standard is big..Some people have huge Labs which are clearly bulky to a point where i dont see then as "IN WORKING CONDITION" is this actually benificial ?? Secondly when we talk about muscular - do we mean that the Lab has to be super muscular like say a well conditioned mastiff,rotweiler or german shepard ?? I would think that a lab should not give the appearance of a tear away , clear cut power lifter but rather of* a well developed swimmer!! What are tour guys's take on this. We have some very knowledgable people on this site and I'd love to get their take on this.
    We see many other things in the standard that not a single Labrador out there meets 100% of it. There are no perfect dogs. There are some in the ring which are pretty solid, some not. It's like the Miss USA pagent, how many of those ladies would be considered "well-muscled". Like it or not, a show Lab is suppose to represent the breed in looks and temperament, similar to this pagent. I would say those Labradors that are actively campaigned in the show ring ARE in working condition, I can think of several good examples.

Secondly- There are 2 basic categories for labs ie. those belonging to the working or field type and those belonging to the show type. However there are also many sub - informal categories which are clearly distiguishable which have evolved through breeding of certain types of dogs. For example British breeders have certain qualities they want to instil in a Lab as compared to American breeders..A clear example here is The Mardas labs are as distinguishable as say a lobuff or tabatha bred* in the states..Do seious show people give any weightage to these types of differences in say some English bred labs and some american bred labs..
    I think you will see in any show bred line in the US a heavy influx of UK bred dogs in their pedigrees. Really there is very little difference in a show bred Lab of the US, UK, the Scandiavian countries, France, Canada etc, etc. The differences you see are a result of what each breeder prefers in terms of what they feel a Labrador should look like, not Labs from one country or the next. Breeders that have been doing this for a very long time tend to develop a particular look within their Labradors. Today's world is very small. There is a lot of movement back and forth between different dogs as well as judges going from one country to another to judge different shows.