Inbreeding, linebreeding, outcross.

Thread: Inbreeding, linebreeding, outcross.

imported_josephine is offline Senior Member

DefaultInbreeding, linebreeding, outcross.

I am trying to educate myself about breeding.
    Please tell me which do you use.

I am not planning on breeding, I want to learn.
    I have a 8 month old male Lab, Jesse.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

pluto is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Inbreeding, linebreeding, outcross.

hi,

I'm quite similar to you however as a kid I was brought up in a family that bread GSD's and tibettan mastiffs however I wasnt deeply involved with the process. Linebreeding is ofcourse when 2 dogs are bread which are distantly related or have same dogs showing up multiple times in a 6 gen pedigree. Linebreeding gives the breeder much more control over the quality (desired) as compared to outcross . Simple genetics dictates that more times a dog appears the more is his influence in the overall charecteristics (given some exceptions such as Loose LB or otherwise) of the pups. Linebreeding if done intelligently can get good results and much more consistent results as compared to outcross however at the expense of limiting of a genetic pool . If every breeder simply linebread his dogs then the genetic pool (genetic diversity) for that breed would decrease and that isnt always desired. Linebreeding often requires great knowledge on bloodlines to know some of the defects that a particular dog shows if bread heavily therefore certain deffeciencies have to be corrected over time. Often linebreeding in parallel with outcross leads to great result as well as maintains a diverse genetic pool , A particular dog can be line breed and his progeny be mated with a carefully selected outcross and can later be inserted back into the breeding program this process is often termed as rejuvination.There are some dogs in the US which are a part of a great no. of linebreeding programs such as Ch. Lobuff Bare Necessities and others.. I dont breed however wigwag or piratelabs would be better off defining what they consider as a tight linebreeding and a loose linebreeding. As far as outcross is concerned it is basically mating dogs that dont have even a single dog common in a 6 gen. pedigree.

I hope this helps.

nwlabs is offline Senior Member

Linebreeding is essentially inbreeding, but most people use inbreeding when talking about breeding say Father to daughter or full brother to full sister as those would be a rather tight breeding. You really need to know the good, the bad and the ugly whenever you line breed. I have done uncle to neice breedings and have been quite happy with the results. Another linebreeding that some breeders have done is grandsire to grandaughter....again...done only if you know your lines. I really like line breeding.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs
    Linebreeding is essentially inbreeding, but most people use inbreeding when talking about breeding say Father to daughter or full brother to full sister as those would be a rather tight breeding.* You really need to know the good, the bad and the ugly whenever you line breed.* I have done uncle to neice breedings and have been quite happy with the results.* Another linebreeding that some breeders have done is grandsire to grandaughter....again...done only if you know your lines.* I really like line breeding.
    what would you call a safe linebreeding?? And how loose can you get before the results turn sketchy and almost outcross like?? Cant one work his way into a tight linebreeding for a dog by starting off with a loose linebreed and refining it over generation to include max. possible appearences of that dog in a 6 gen. pedigree??

PirateLabs is offline Senior Member

Safe? as in what way safe? If you don't know what your playing with, well linebreeding or really breeding altogether is not something one should attempt. I think the best linebreeding combo I have seen work is uncle to niece. My boss has really good luck with half brother/half sister(very tight linebreeding). I think beyond first cousin type breedings, linebreeding tends to look like an outross.
    Cheers,<br />Kim

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLabs
    Safe? as in what way safe?* If you don't know what your playing with, well linebreeding or really breeding altogether is not something one should attempt. I think the best linebreeding combo I have seen work is uncle to niece.* My boss has really good luck with half brother/half sister(very tight linebreeding). I think beyond first cousin type breedings, linebreeding tends to look like an outross.
    How true Kim! One needs to remember when you are closely linebreeding that you have the chance to get the hidden bad along with the good. Knowing as much about the pedigree and what has/has not been produced is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLabs
    Safe? as in what way safe?* If you don't know what your playing with, well linebreeding or really breeding altogether is not something one should attempt. I think the best linebreeding combo I have seen work is uncle to niece.* My boss has really good luck with half brother/half sister(very tight linebreeding). I think beyond first cousin type breedings, linebreeding tends to look like an outross.
    Safe as in the probability of you feeling good about the litter . I guess you allready answered the point .

How true Kim! One needs to remember when you are closely linebreeding that you have the chance to get the hidden bad along with the good. Knowing as much about the pedigree and what has/has not been produced is very important.
    Yeah however i doubt that any novice would really bother about going into Linebreeding and people that do it should really be knowing how to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pluto
    How true Kim!* One needs to remember when you are closely linebreeding that you have the chance to get the hidden bad along with the good.* Knowing as much about the pedigree and what has/has not been produced is very important.
    Yeah however i doubt that any novice would really bother about going into Linebreeding and people that do it should really be knowing how to go about it.
    Well, I don't think it is something a novice should attempt without the help/advice of a mentor. That doesn't mean that a novice wouldn't do it....its just not something I would advise them to do.

Quote Originally Posted by nwlabs
    Quote Originally Posted by pluto
    How true Kim!* One needs to remember when you are closely linebreeding that you have the chance to get the hidden bad along with the good.* Knowing as much about the pedigree and what has/has not been produced is very important.
    Well, I don't think it is something a novice should attempt without the help/advice of a mentor.* That doesn't mean that a novice wouldn't do it....its just not something I would advise them to do.*
    i totally agree

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

There's a book called Advanced Labrador Breeding by Mary Roslin Williams that is really informative if you want to know about breeding. She had a section where she discussed in her opinion which combos of linebreeding (like uncle to neice...) worked the best.

True linebreeding is inbreeding to an extent, but the thought is that the closer the relationship between the two dogs, the greater chance of exaggerating the faults vs. keeping in the excellent points.