Indy intimidated by show ring

Thread: Indy intimidated by show ring

DefaultIndy intimidated by show ring

Poor Indy.* One year old and still going into the ring without any expression.* > Indy is a happy go lucky puppy.* Always outgoing, leading the pack.* Even outside the ring/show building.* On the show grounds, he's his outgoing animated self.* What can I do to get him through this??* Treats...attention for one second.* Toys...attention for one second.* (in the ring)* He is normaly a wild and crazy guy.* Help!
    Lauren

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Indy intimidated by show ring

Do you feel anxious or tense when you go into the ring? He may be picking up 'vibes' from you.

Unfortunately some dogs just do not like to show.* It could be your emotions but it could just be all the commotion/unfamiliarity of the show its self.* It could just be the dog's personality. Essy's breeder has a dog that acts just as you describe.* You get her in the ring and she wilts. Take her out of the ring and she's all wags and kisses.* Back in the ring, tail is dead, expression is gone.* She did finish her championship but she certainly didn't have fun doing it.* *

In contrast, my friend's Dobie is a show off.* He lives to strut his stuff.* He doesn't care who takes him in the ring, he's always on.* He loves his job and he could do it without a handler at all if you let him.

Its just like with people.* Some people are cut out to be actors, others would die if they had to get up in front of an audience and speak (me).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Yep, I agree with rottnlabs. My yellow girl LOVES the show ring. She could certainly show herself (and pretty much does, when I am handling ). The more people that are looking at her the more she likes it. I've never seen such a ham in my life.

Now Emma, my black girl, has a bit of stage fright. She is getting better but it is still pretty clear that showing is not her most favorite thing in the world. She tends to just "droop" in the ring - whereas my yellow girl really comes alive. It's just a personality thing.

try to train indy in a more realistic enviroment perhaps a club with more dogs doing a show routine to get her feeling for the ring.

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

How much are you training her? I almost ruined my first show dog for the ring because I was always training her. The more she hated it the more I trained. I figured I must be doing something wrong and if I just did it more, she'd improve. DUHHHH...what I was doing wrong was practicing way too much. Poor thing. No wondered she hated the show ring.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

WigWag Guest

Sounds all too familiar and I suggest finding a handling class to find out how to keep it simply and have fun. I tried showing Clint a little when he was younger and he was such a different dog in the ring - so bored and never focused on me and never having fun. I know now that it was mostly my fault since I was a bit nervous and expected too much too soon and ran his ring training like a drill sergeant plus we were field training and obedience training both of which were so much more fun. I wish I had better advice but I just gave up which was too bad since I have been told he is a nice dog.