Julie..Californialablover

Thread: Julie..Californialablover

DefaultJulie..Californialablover

I just saw Monty's win photo.Congrats. But I have a question, did you take conformation classes before you showed him?

I want to show my Monet, but I'm affraid of making an a$$ out of myself infront of all these handlers who "know what they're doing"!!!

I'm looking for someone in my area to teach both myself and Monet!!!

Just wondering!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Julie..Californialablover

Quote Originally Posted by luvmykodi
    I want to show my Monet, but I'm affraid of making an a$$ out of myself infront of all these handlers who "know what they're doing"!!!

I'm looking for someone in my area to teach both myself and Monet!!!
    I make an a$$ out of myself every time I go in the ring. Keeps me humble Why should I be the only one? ;D I always say that my dogs are handler challenged.

Take your dog out in the ring....you won't get better sitting outside the ring. That I know for sure!!

First You have to set your priorities straight. Do you wanna show cuz u think you like showing and feel a geniun interest in this area or do you wanna do it cuz you think you have a good dog? I come from a family that has shown dogs for the last 2 generations however it has only been a couple of years since i have taken up to it ! Now that i have started doing it I cant really get enough of it . there are a lot of other things that have to be in place if you want to seriously show dogs..You have to maintain the dog in proper show (which means reguilar exercise , diet control and swimming) condition and have to plan out regular training sessions and Believe me it can be done without training lessons. I have seen trainers who are so precise that they signal "right leg" to the dog to make him set it back a little bit to stack up nicely and they never attended any training classes. Basically teach your dog how to stack and make him follow yur commands and after that it is basically repetition . Once you start showing the dog yull get better..You dont have to be the best of the best..and if u keep up to it with time you'll be up to the mark!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

My local lab club just started to offer handling classes (per my request). I guess that they had done them in the past, but not for a few years.

I have taken Monty a couple of times, but had otherwise been taking my friend's beautiful bitch who has already earned her Ch. She already knew everything about what to do, so I was able to work on myself and what was expected of me first and foremost. Then, after I felt okay doing that, I ended up taking Monty with me twice, alternating him out with my friend's dog when he would get bored.

I really recommend handling classes, as it really helps to know what is expected of you in gaiting patterns and so forth in the ring. We just have a few seasoned show people helping to teach the class, and giving pointers on what to do or not do in the ring. Then, we also threw in a couple of fun classes just for change- one was on grooming, one was on dressing for the ring and show ring etiquette, etc. Are you involved in your local lab club? It is a great thing to do if you want to get into the show ring.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about feeling dumb getting in the ring. As one of my instructors put it, they are only dogs and there will always be another dog show, and whatever happens to you/your dog has most certainly happened to someone else...probably even a professional. Geez, one of the first times I showed Grace, she pooped in the ring! And we still got First place in our class.

I agree that handling classes are invaluable, especially for a novice. I decided I wanted to get into showing dogs, and purposely acquired my third lab from an excellent breeder. She's a nice dog and seems to be showing well as we learn how to do everything. So if you do want to get into it, it helps to have a nice dog to show...