Didn't Want to Hijack -- ? About Length

Thread: Didn't Want to Hijack -- ? About Length

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultDidn't Want to Hijack -- ? About Length

I noticed in the "Opinions on Magnum" thread that it was mentioned that he was a tad long.* I've been told that Sami is long, too.* What is the correct length?* Is there a standard, or is it more a judgement?* Here is a recent pix:

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

DefaultRe: Didn't Want to Hijack -- ? About Length

Yes she is long in body. They should be slightly longer than they are tall. I guess you get used to seeing a short coupled dog versus a dog longer in cast. Look around at some websites and get a feel - ask and post a link to a dog and see if you are right - visuals usually help when learning.

He does look long in loin to me. There is a difference between long in rib and long in loin. The space between where his ribs end and his rear leg (I know I'm not describing in right but maybe someone else can) shouldn't be more than around 3-4 fingers in width.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

This thread made me curious - I've thought Phoebe looks long too but wasn't sure. I don't really care because I would never attempt to show her or anything like that but I find this stuff interesting. Opinions?

Becca & Phoebe

Due to the angle of the picture I can't be sure but some dogs look long in the body because their front legs aren't underneath them enough - they should be under the withers - if they are more up front then the body looks longer.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by threelabs
    He does look long in loin to me. There is a difference between long in rib and long in loin. The space between where his ribs end and his rear leg (I know I'm not describing in right but maybe someone else can) shouldn't be more than around 3-4 fingers in width.
    You have a great eye ... if I'm doing it right, I can squeeze my whole hand between Sami's last rib and her rear leg. So ... long in loin it is!