Dog show groups
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog show groups

DefaultDog show groups

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered before. I was watching the dog show from Portland. The show had a group for an English Cocker Spaniel, an Abscot Cocker, Black, and Party. The commentator said the only difference in these dogs was the color of their coat. Why aren't there different classes for the three colors of Labs?
    Olie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog show groups

English Cockers Spaniels are a different breed from the others entirely. ASCOB (Any Solid Color Other Than Black), Black and Parti are three Varieties of American Cocker Spaniels.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    * Why aren't there different classes for the three colors of Labs?
    Olie
    I'm not anywhere close to an expert on this, but I think that question recently arose on one of the other forums that I'm a member of.* I think the story was that the colors were divided like that back when there was a cocker breeder or judge who was really highly ranked (or friends with someone who was) in the AKC.* It allowed them to gain more points/championships with the breed based on their colors.* I don't know if that is true or not, but that was the story I "heard" there.*

With labs, they do split them up to some degree, but they aren't considered three totally different groups like with cockers since each color goes back into the ring to compete against the other for "best of breed."* *

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

I've always wondered myself why some breeds have "varieties" and others do not.* Most varieties are colors but some are sizes.* The American Cocker is a good example with their three color varieties.* The Bull terrier also comes in two color varietes.* Yet Labradors, Pointers, Setters, and other spaniels (English Springer, English Cocker, etc) have all the colors shown together.* Labradors are the most popular breed at dog shows by far so it would make sense for them to be split if any breed is split.* I know American Cockers were at one time the most popular breed so I wonder if that helped make the varieties judged separately as well since the competition was so tough?

Oh and as pointed out ASCOB stand for "any solid color other than black" and "parti" is for particolored which is two colors like black and white. So the American Cocker shows in three color varieties - Black (which includes black and tans), Parti (white and another color), and ASCOB which is most commonly a fawn/tan color but also can be solid liver. Most people see the popular fawn/tan Cocker and mistakenly call the color "ASCOB".

labby is offline Senior Member

the lrc is totally against dividing labradors into varieties by color. (this doesn't include how its done at a specialty) i believe their reasoning is due to the fact that a lab is a lab and color should not be a deciding factor in anything. that all labs, despite their color, should be able to compete together without any one color becoming more popular.

Laura

WigWag Guest

i believe their reasoning is due to the fact that a lab is a lab and color should not be a deciding factor in anything.
    I completely agree and so it's weird to me that other breeds are different. I don't get their reasoning or why it's still like that today.

So Laura it goes back to my original question, why if the only thing that seperates the Cocker Spaniels is color are they allowed to show seperately?
    Laura I have another question do you think that there will be a seperate confermation for field Labs?
    Olie

labby is offline Senior Member

the other parent clubs obviously don't feel the same as the lrc. lol

olie, no and i don't think there should be. again, a lab is a lab and proper structure is proper structure no matter if the dog shows or hunts. form does follow function and a properly structured dog will over time out perform one that does not have proper structure.

in this country we do have the conformation certificate which isn't held a lot, but its to encourage field people to have their dog evaluated for proper lab structure as per the standard.

Laura

I also heard that the only reason that the cockers were divided by color was political - and the breed club supported it and AKC changed it.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oonas Dad
    .... I have another question do you think that there will be a seperate confermation for field Labs?
    I don't think so since a true lab should be correct compared to the standard AND be able to work. Those who work their dogs exclusively in the field sometimes only concentrate on ability and not the look of the dog. They are performing necessary heath certification for breeding purposes, but they aren't using "pretty" labs. Chance those die hard hunting folks don't care if their dog is "good looking" compared to the standard as long as their dog is a pro in the field.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast