Tide turning in Lab comformation?

Thread: Tide turning in Lab comformation?

wonderlab is offline Junior Member

DefaultTide turning in Lab comformation?

First I will say I refuse to show my dog in a unfit maner. Yes I lose to more portly dogs but I am being encouraged as I am seeing more and more judges putting up fit dog instead of the more portly. I have been talking to some judges and asking why and have been getting some interesting answers. Some judges i've taked to are leaning toward the fit dogs. What are some of your dealings in the show ring??

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

LOL, what region are you in? One of my pup owners in ID entered a show yesterday and was dumped, but I have to admit it... looking at the class/ ring photo, he was definitely the odd man out w/ not nearly the bone and coat as the dog that won (who was quite heavy bodied in the 12-18 mo class). It prompted me to send photos of one of my boys from the 6-9 class, ~18 mos, 2.5 yrs and then ~age 6. HUGE difference in coat and maturity w/ maturity really not being there until after 4yrs. I suggested to the gal to hold him out and focus on the field and obed work for at least 2 more years and she agreed.

At the same show, my 4 mo old boy who I just placed w/ a gal who will do limited showing, obed, and hunt tests also, took Best Puppy in Match under a well known pro handler.... funny thing is, I've been asked by handlers and friends w/ other breeds for years what was happening in our breed, so I'm thinking this was yet another who had disapproved of the trends. I do have to say, I'm very happy w/ how this litter is looking, but know also there is nothing but moderation there. So yes, I'm hopeful for the future, but not sure the trends back to moderation is happening fast enough for my tastes. Many judges have just gotten used to what they've seen, so it'll take time. Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

What labs look like is very regionally influenced. If you happen to live in an area that is the home of some of the HUGE breeders, you may find that your fit dogs look out of place. I don't necessarily believe that these folks have fat, unfit dogs, but I believe TYPE is very different. I have a black lab that's just coming up in the show ring. COAT is an amazing thing. A dog out of coat or without the proper coat will look very different than a dog in correct coat. A dog with MASSIVE coat will look very fat, when in reality, the dog underneath may not be large at all.

Judges have also been reminded to pay attention to the standard vs. thinking that if there are 20 dog in the ring that look alike and there is one that looks different but in REALITY, the one different one is perfect to standard, the judge should be looking for that. Not the best of the dogs that all look the same in the ring.

But unfortunately, that's the bane of showing Labradors.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Totally agree w/ that, yellowbelly. The big issue as I see it is that some of the huge breeders seem to have their progeny all over the country now, so it will take time for judges' eyes to adjust.

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

Yes, they all seem to pick ONE stud, they all use them. There is one chocolate male now, YELLOW headlight eyes. It's such a shame.

Yikes. My 4mo old choc (and all her littemates) thankfully have nice dark eyes. I hate headlight eyes just as much as I hate Newfie bodies/ coats on a Lab.
    I'm sticking to the old lines as much as possible but I am guilty of breeding into some field dogs every now and then and the problem there (besides losing some of the front assembly) is roundish eyes.... sigh.

Eresh is offline Senior Member

Here in Florida, they've always tended to be more moderate than other parts of the country.

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

I find that it varies with the judges experience (or lack thereof). If judge "A" picks a fat, short legged dog on Thursday, the other judges seem to follow suit on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
    I do agree that more and more judges are going with the "fit" dogs..in my experience about 20% of the total.
    There is still a long way to go!