Conformation Height

Thread: Conformation Height

rsrcwhite is offline Junior Member

DefaultConformation Height

Hello
    We have 2 labs...loads of fun, my question is more geared towards people with judging backgrounds.

Our second lab is a chocolate that we purchased from a very good breeder in August of 2012. We purchased him as a pet and not a show prospect. ( we don't have any experience in showing) Long story short...we visited a dog show with him in tow. A breeder/judge approached us and asked us if we were showing him. Short answer was no. My real question here is...the best I could measure him was 22 1/2 to 23 inches at the shoulder and approx. 80 pounds. The breeder/judge seemed to think he was a little small...he was 14 months at the time.
    What are the avg heights and weights of conformation Labradors?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Eresh is offline Senior Member

The AKC standard calls for 22.5"-24.5", 65-80 lbs for males and 21.5"-23.5", 55-70 lbs for females and anything more than a half inch from that is a disqualification. Based on what you said, your dogs sounds like he is within standard. A lot of the labs at appear to weigh more, but I'm not going to hazard a guess at how much because they can appear heavier than they are when in full coat. The European standard doesn't make height a disqualification, so dogs with imports in their pedigree are often on the shorter side.

Edited to add: Once you get enough posts, you can post a picture of him so we can get a better idea of that the person meant.

Thanks for the input...I'm sure he's within the standard. Dogs aren't new to me but the show lingo and terms are.

He's 18 months now and starting to fill out but hard to get a great picture of him. Being a chocolate, the best shots are outside. We are taking obedience classes now and will start handling classes after the Holidays. So, I'm hoping I can get someone to take pictures of him when he's stacked.

Can male littermates vary greatly in size?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yellowbelly is offline Senior Member

If your very good breeder sold him as a pet, there was a reason. Something isn't up to show potential with the pup. Just because one judge (and was it someone judging labs that day???) said something doesn't mean anything. I show, and I have TONS of folks wondering why my dogs aren't champions.

Call your breeder, have them re-evaluate the dog. It was most likely sold with Limited Registration anyway, since they were a very good breed, meaning you can't show the do unless they reverse that for you.

Yellowbelly...relax yourself, I was asking for some advice and a general question. Maybe your dog's aren't champions for many reasons. I wasn't on here to say my dog was the next big thing. And frankly I don't care to deal with the politics of dealing with judges or people like you. I just had some questions and I provided some background to it.

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Based on what I'm seeing in the NW, many of the conformation labs are getting small. Mine are on the small side too, but recently I took my almost 22" girl to be bred and was surprised that the stud wasn't a lot taller than she. Yes, he is within height standard, but not by much. I've worried about my girls passing the CC at LRC Natls over the years because I have several that are *barely* 21" (and that's if they stand up tall as a triple at MH test is going off!), yet not one of the judges have even wicketed them. So I'd be willing to bet there are more judges that would think your boy is well within standard than not... If you are in the area of a CC, that may be a place to start since they are more informal, yet judged by breed judges too.

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

Windy..thank you, that was the kind of insightful input I was looking for. If you private message me I will let you know his lineage . I just didn't want to put out breeders na message without asking

Max Dad is offline Senior Member

FWIW, your Lab is NOT small by the standard. There have been some articles published lately relating to the current fashion (in some circles) for judges to put up short legged, FAT dogs. It does happen frequently. If you pup weighed 80 lbs at 14 months, there is no reason to believe that he will not gain additional weight at maturity.
    Visit a few more shows and observe which dogs the judges select; I believe that you will find that compared to the published standard, most are considerably overweight.
    If you decide to show your pup, try to show to judges who adhere to the standard...there are still some out there.
    Good luck.